RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

A question about Health

Old 11-19-2011, 02:47 AM

Re: A question about Health

Long time ago I had this kind of problems - especially while dodging and burning for hours.

I used a powerball for a while to strengthen the wrist, arm and shoulders.
(that is a gyroskopic therapeutic tool in the size of a tennis ball)

I learned to use smaller amount of pressure to the pen.
To interrupt that long d&b sessions, I try to do other things in between.
I bought a saddle chair. That helps me to sit more upright and that helps my shoulders and arms too.

I use a rowing mashine (water) to strengthen back and shoulders and a series of special Yoga exercises that I received from my osteopat (kind of chiropractor) helps me to relax the muscles.

I never had this severe pain again...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2011, 11:19 PM

hi,
Not sure if I can add anything new but maybe...
What i found over the years that has help me..
1. take breaks every 30-40 minutes... your mind is refreshed and I have found over a two hour period withbreaks --I accomplish more than doing two without break..
howlong of a break.. a lot of people just a 5 or 10 minute break quite sufficient.

2. when taken a break, besides just walkingaround, which helps, Ido a couple of minutes worth exercising and massage my muscles... i'll massage my fingers, my wrist and the hand in general, also i''l roll my head and my shoulders to losen up those muscle.... and I'll exercise my eye muscles.....

3. monitor... I found when i position the monitor tilted toward my head instead of straight forward ..... I had a whole less problems with neck and shoulder muscles getting tired or cramping ..

4. keyboard... i LIKE the ergonomics one where theboard look like it bent in the middle... those kinds really helped my wrist a lot they didnget as tired and i didn't get wrist cramps...

5. and the chair.... so important a good chair that forces you into good posture and one that you can elevate to where your hands feels more natural on thekeyboard and mouse...

overall doing the things I mentioned above has allowed me not to have any serious issues....

something watch with your wrist ,carpel tunnel ..... youmay want to check with doctor who familiar with it..... to make you don't have.... and take steps (excersing) to insure youdon't get....

well those are my thoughts....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 AM

Figure out something you can do.

I either stand up and just twirl my arms around a bit ( one way, other way, both different ways, old kungfu exercise ) or I have a pull-up bar that I either do some pullups or just hang for a bit

There's always something you can do, and it's important to figure out something you can do. Doesn't really matter what as long as you can move around a bit.

This is all after you've made your work area as "ergonomic" as you can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2011, 04:28 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

We really need to make a video of all you guys taking breaks... ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
We really need to make a video of all you guys taking breaks... ;-)
It looks stupid. But at least I don't have any shoulder/wrist issues, which would be a lot more stupid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 PM

Some great advice here already. I can only add a bit and maybe emphasize some of what already been suggested. I stop every couple of hours and get up, stretch, swing my arms - hey maybe go to the bathroom.

I also agree with finding a chair position that is right for you and most comfortable for your back, arms, shoulders and wrist on the mouse or tablet - and a secondary one that you can alternate back and forth from.

I also workout everyday at the gym (lucky - one is in my building). Weights (for strength) and Aerobics (for cardio). Getting a hot shower and coming back at it helps a lot. But hey... everyone get that hand cramp you talk about after cranking on a deadline - 10-12 hours or longer straight through.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2011, 10:15 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I bet a lot of computer-related stress also has to do with hardware. For instance, I use Apple's flat keyboards (on the desktops), which are so much easier on the hands/wrists than the old chunky Apple and common PC ones. My favorite mouse right now is the wireless Apple model (no fighting with a stiff cord).

Every Windows PC (not VM) I ever used had what I call "wild mouse" (ie, the cursor set to move very fast all over the screen). I suspect trying to control that precisely might add to tension on the hand, wrist and arm.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs