RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Where are all the high-end clientele online?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Patron

Re: Where are all the high-end clientele online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
No, it's not easy, even of you have a worthy portfolio. Which I don't see here.

Now I know where i went off the rails, though. I didn't hang out at the right bars with my business cards.
There's a lot more to it than that but yes, doing that is better than doing nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherGFX View Post
But anyways, what does it matter?

I'm a pretty fast learner, I understand Photoshop and the tools, channels, curves, etc... I understand anatomy and composition, lighting, basic photography, etc.

I'm a positive person so if I decided or had to start an entirely new field from scratch today I'd be okay with it.
Christopher,

If you have to ask that question then you're not quite ready for the high end, at least not yet. But be encouraged

I provided my guidance before I actually looked through your portfolio. You have one really good piece in your portfolio -- the chrome sink retouch. I really like that one.

I'd remove most or all of the others and replace them with personal projects that show the appropriate level of skill. It's much better to have a few awesome examples than it is to have many of lesser quality. As you see, people here will be glad to provide you frank, helpful feedback on your site and work.

The worst thing you can do for your career is make excuses, blame your customers or otherwise defend work that is not of the caliber your target clientele expect. At the high end, quality is king. And you have to show it in your examples, not talk about what you can do.

You also need to learn how to interact with customers well and deliver outstanding work consistently and reliably. You seem to be a positive person and we've all needed to learn these things, so just posting here and engaging with the other members is a good start.

Cheers, and Happy New Year.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Who are you aiming at?

High end agencies and top photographers?

Or the high street photographer?

Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 AM

I suppose I'll chime in with my 2 cents. Please don't take anything I say the wrong way, sh***ing on your work serves me no purpose, my criticism is meant to help you.

I think the 'high-end' label is ridiculously over used. If something you did in 20 minutes gets labeled high-end or 'semi?' high-end, and makes into your portfolio, is a first sign of trouble.

honestly, I don't see anything in your portfolio worth keeping. the amateur 'model' section is painful. nobody wants to see that. The faucet example looks like it took more time but it still doesn't look like anything that would or should be published. A lot of it isn't necessarily a reflection of your skills, the original photography is god awful.

I would suggest finding good source material to start with, there's been some threads here with people offering up their raws for people to practice on, any of that would be a step in the right direction. once you have a few of those I would hit up craigslist in NY and LA for people that want to test, but don't do any of the work for free if their photography sucks. you're lucky enough to live in a large market so that you should be able to meet with a ton of decent up and coming photographers that are testing in person which is a huge bonus.

if you do well you should be able to build up your portfolio fairly quickly and at the same time create relationships with potential clients down the road. the more photographers you meet and work for, the more art buyers/art directors you'll meet and your network will eventually grow. and if you deliver good work people will be happy to refer you to others.

I agree with what Robert says that the likelihood of finding quality work online without having a prior relationship is pretty much zero. One thing I have found that people move around a lot within the industry and they will take your contact info with them wherever they go. I personally worked on a job last month for an ad agency in Berlin from here in Seattle, thanks to an art buyer that I used to work with here, moved over there and got a job there. so my point is that you need to first create relationships with people locally in person and eventually you'll be able to work for them remotely. One of my bigger clients is an ad agency literally a block away form my studio, and I hardly ever go over there anymore. Everything is done by email, phone, and FTP.

my other point is knowing how to use photoshop and using it since 4.0 doesn't mean sh*t really, I mean of course you need to know photoshop but thats assumed if you want to be in this line of work. if you look at your work and compare it with some of the truly high-end retouchers out there and you can't see the difference then you might as well give up now. ultimately people will need you to provide them with creative solutions and you need to be able to see and anticipate what they need. knowing how to get rid of telephone poles isn't going to get you very far.

again, please don't take offense with anything I've said, just being honest. Keep developing your skill/design sense/eye, whatever you want to call it, and not just youtube photoshop tutorials. Keep building a good book, work relationships and stay positive. good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 AM

Thumbs up Re: Where are all the high-end clientele online?

Well Said!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 PM

I think its extremely commendable for Janko to offer such an well thought out, in-depth response when most everyone else (myself included) wrote off the OP after seeing the portfolio. I feel we could take a lesson from Janko here.

--shift studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 01-07-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Thanks guys, I see these threads come up all the time and most of them go ignored but I figured I might as well give my opinion at least this once.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs