RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Creative work in Toronto, Canada

Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Creative work in Toronto, Canada

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice here please.

I'm originally from London, England but no live in Lisbon, Portugal with my Portuguese wife. We're looking at relocating and one idea we had was Canada, Toronto. (My wife has a cousin that lives there)

I've been in advertising / design for around 20 years now and I was an in-house retoucher / 3d illustrator for a major advertising agency in Dublin for 5 years but have been working for myself for the past 6 years. Basically, we're trying to outrun the European recession and Canada was an idea.

I know i'll have to get a job offer over there before a visa application would be accepted. I just wonder if anyone could tell me what the situation is like over there or had any tips on where to look or try?

My online portfolio is ; PORTFOLIO

Thanks in advance,

Tony.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 AM

Re: Creative work in Toronto, Canada

Nice stuff. Why not New York? 3D techs are hard to find.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 AM

Hi Tony,

I am a retoucher from London. I now live in Canada. It is very different here compared to London. I can honestly say, you will not get a job offer over here as a retoucher. You stand more chance getting an offer as a 3D artist. But even that would be VERY DIFFICULT!

Best thing to do, is arrange some meetings, and come over and see as many people as possible. You may get lucky. I could probably help you out with some 3D projects over here. But they would purely be freelance.

Best of luck, if I can be any help, let me know. I am in my 3rd year here now.

Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 AM

Oh, and I would get your visa application in right away. You do not need a job offer at the start. It is a 4 -5 year process for skilled worker. It will sit in a pile for 12 - 24 months before it is looked at. If you get a job offer in that time, that will speed it up considerably.

So get the paperwork in asap.

Without a job offer, I do not think your occupation is on the skilled worker list. So you will need a job offer. Unless your wife has a occupation that is wanted over here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs