RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

a rant about the de-valuing of our trade

Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Re: a rant about the de-valuing of our trade

This is very discouraging as a last year student at Brooks Institute. I honestly have not even learned anything in my last year and a half here, no one wants to hire me all the jobs I want expect me to know programs my school doesn't even touch so I've been teaching myself this past year on top of my school work. Going to be in debt probably over 200 right out of college at 22 my 18 yr old self may have gone another route had I known, hindsights always 20 20 tho.. It seems if I want to make big bucks I'm going to have to get creative with what skills I have. Maybe own a retouching house or something later on
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 AM

If he thinks "craiglist" defines the photography market... there's something wrong with him

I just wrote something about this very same mindset. http://www.facebook.com/notes/natali...78465785528265

People posting in this thread might not like it at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Patron

Godmother beat me to the punch. But that's good.

I was going to say that:
  • I never, never, never look for clients on craigslist or offer my services there.
  • I never, never, never try to sell my work on eBay.
Those places are for bargain-hunters and for broke and/or stingy buyers. And such buyers will never lead you to making a good living unless you can do enormous volume with very small profit on each sale.

The only way I would use craigslist is if I wanted some quick practice to perfect a technique in the beginning, and now I'd be inclined to do it for free instead of for craigslist prices.

There are always different segments of any market. There are low-end buyers and high-end buyers. The best way to make good money is to learn to service and market to high-end buyers. That takes effort (see Godmother's link above) but it's worth it.

Dell Computer is a great example. They learned what high-end sophisticated buyers wanted, provided that with the highest quality and best execution in the market and let everyone else fight for the unsophisticated low-end retail buyers. Those companies who pursued that market all went out of business (e.g., Packard Bell).

Much the same dynamic is happening today with creative fields. It's something we must either adapt to or lose out.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 04-29-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

A comparative situation to the photo industry is the music industry. I'm not referring to file sharing and such which is having a major impact on its own, but the home studio vs. established recording studios. It may be encouraging to us to realize that even though one can make an album at home, there is still a need for professional facilities for not only recording but mixing and mastering.

As for the outsourcing of retouching, I often wonder when the workers in these countries will wise up and start demanding higher wages. Even though their expenses are low, greed is greed no matter where one lives. Perhaps eventually their prices will rise and cause Western workers to become more attractive again (ie, the swinging pendulum).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
...As for the outsourcing of retouching, I often wonder when the workers in these countries will wise up and start demanding higher wages. Even though their expenses are low, greed is greed no matter where one lives. Perhaps eventually their prices will rise and cause Western workers to become more attractive again (ie, the swinging pendulum).
Excellent point. Actually, it's already happening. Wages in China and India have gone up a lot compared to earlier. Lately I've been reading in the financial press that some manufacturing is starting to return to the US, and that other manufacturing is starting here and staying here (I live in the US) and not being outsourced at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2012, 02:38 AM

Flipping burgers is not the place to work if you wish to be or become a michelin stared chef although there is a lot more employment available in the burger joints than in hi end restaurants. Back in the day when photographic retouching was not so accessible there was no "burger joint" equivalent where you could obtain this service. Now there is.

The market place for hi-end professional work in photography and post production has not shrunk it's just the middle/low end work (where driving down costs is a priority) has grown exponentially. Musicians and artists have always lived with the understanding that there are relatively few lucky individuals who are well rewarded. The rest make do and are either enthusiastic amateurs with a day job or passionate professionals living and working within the vagaries of a competitive unprotected industry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Good post Anthony!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Wood View Post
with the understanding that there are relatively few lucky individuals who are well rewarded
I agree with everything EXCEPT the luck part. LUCK has nothing to do with it.

The cock And The Bull

A cock was standing in a field chatting to a bull. "I would love to be able to get to the top of yonder tree', sighed the pheasant, 'but I haven't got the energy, skills or strength."

'Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?" replied the bull. 'They're packed with nutrients."

The cock pecked at a lump of dung and found that it actually gave him enough strength to reach the first branch of the tree.

The next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. And so on.

Finally, after a fourth night, there he was proudly perched at the top of the tree. Whereupon he was spotted by a farmer who dashed into the farmhouse, emerged with a shotgun, and shot the cock right out of the tree.

Moral of the Story: Bullshit might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there if you don't belong.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM

Natalia, I just finished my retouching work on this image couple of days ago:

http://creativeretoucher.com

Regarding to your theory, which could be right in the right economy, I should get some well paid job offers now …

From my own experience: few weeks ago I received an email from the magazine that I thought that they don't have an email as there is no way to get the address unless they will contact you directly. I was offered that they will print one of my images if I would pay the advert fee … They call it advertorial

I didn't reply. Anyway, I feel honoured I got this offer …

Your ideal theory has the other side aswell

Regards, Filip

----------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
Natalia, I just finished my retouching work on this image couple of days ago:

http://creativeretoucher.com

Regarding to your theory, which could be right in the right economy, I should get some well paid job offers now …
I can't offer a critique here, I will say however, I disagree with your statement.

I think you should be more critical with your own work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
Your ideal theory has the other side aswell
It's not a theory. I work in the industry I'm describing.
I don't think you understood what I wrote.

"Those who say it can't be done should stay out of the way of those who are doing it"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs