Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

a rant about the de-valuing of our trade

Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Re: a rant about the de-valuing of our trade

Natalia, yes, I agree we always can improve our own work and do it better …

And I also think that everyone should be more critical to his/her own work.

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Unhappy Re: a rant about the de-valuing of our trade

Originally Posted by Imagocentric View Post
I've just finished writing rants on 2 freelance sites about just this topic!
For over 13 years I've been retouching and taking pictures, always freelance. Due to cutbacks and the general recession, many of my clients have nothing to pass to me now, so I began using Elance and PPH to seek new clients. I was told these were 2 of the better freelance sites.
It's just unbelievable what people on there are willing to work for! Just today I lost a bid. A couple hours hours photographing a family, a couple more (at least) sorting and editing the images to end up with 7 to go to print. This will earn the (lucky?) bidder £50!! And that's before any expenses!!
I appreciate we're in a global marketplace etc, but this winning bid came not from the far east or India, but from right here in the UK, from London!
These people, probably untrained, ill equipped and inexperienced will do more to destroy this profession than anything in the past has ever done. Get a PC, a ripped copy of Photoshop, watch a few Youtube videos and off you go...
Me, I will NEVER join a price war. I like my work but would rather (and have) sit on my skinny ass watching paint dry than sell myself off for these kinds of prices.
Sad but true.
Because of technology and internet nowadays, the competition on looking for an online job is pretty fierce. It's unfair for most of us skilled candidates to be on the same level of those unskilled and inexperienced applicants.
In my experience on those freelance sites like odesk, people are willing to sell themselves short just to get a job, no matter how unfit they are. And the worse thing about it is that most employers are also willing to hire them.
This is why I've given up freelancing and decided to have a full time and stable online job. I got it from a great job site called, they only accept employers who are willing to hire a staff full time. And the good thing about it is, we were hired because of our skills and not because of our rate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Re: a rant about the de-valuing of our trade

It's unfair for most of us skilled candidates to be on the same level of those unskilled and inexperienced applicants
In part true, the work should speak for itself; however, experience is itself valuable as industry/real world retouching speaks for itself. A foot in the door though...

This discounts any 'duffers' that may seep into retouching that don't know a curve from a [insert own word here].
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Thumbs up Re: a rant about the de-valuing of our trade

Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
we should band together and bid outrageous prices on these freelance sites, get everyone we know that is a retoucher. Might not do anything but fill up their site with spam, but might make me feel better.
Haha.. I like it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs