RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Legal to take work from firm?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 PM

Legal to take work from firm?

I'm trying to leaving my retouching firm but I want to take some of the work I've done & collaborated on for them to put in my portfolio.

What are the rules & etiquette for this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2012, 03:48 AM

Re: Legal to take work from firm?

Rules are what is agreed between you and the firm, I would just ask your current employer for samples for your own portfolio...If he/she refuses you can't use the work because it was made as a employee and the rights are owned by the firm.
But if you are in good relation it shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 AM

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you already know the answer really. Have you asked them if you can? If not why not? Do you own the copyright on any of the images?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM

Who said it's easier to beg forgiveness than permission? When I started my own business I had to use samples of work that I produced for my previous employer. However I only used hard copies, always kept them in my safekeeping and made it clear to potential customers that this was produced for my previous employer (who was ok with that as I was not going to poach). I would not put them on my website and they would be replaced, in turn, by newer work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Yes, it is acceptable to show paper proofs of such work, but, I would not put them on a website, although I'm guessing some do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 AM

Yea, I asked my boss if I could take some sample and explained to them I would not post it on may websites i would just personally show it to a potential employer. Bust he's still giving me resistance. its like work for cosmopolitan magazine ads & stuff so i don't copyright anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 AM

If he is resistant you can't use the work since it was made by the firm....simple.
Guess your boss is fearing your qualities and might loose clients to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Here's the situation as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately it's different for how 'high up the tree' the people you are working for happen to be.

•*Major Photographers. Never include the before Retouching examples of this in any transmittable format online, or as a PDF or jpeg. Bad move if you ever do, you never know where it will end up. Although it may be tempting when you first start out. Basic common sense, even if you've had some 'falling out'. No one who wants to use your services will ever want to see that you have done this.

•*Lesser perhaps Agency commissioned Photographers - sometimes you can get away with assuming that its Ok, because you have helped them so much. If they object, of course take it off.

•*Any other work. By this I mean that anyone that provides their Photographic work, I suppose hoping to achieve free Retouching: at the point they do this they have "published" or made available their work un-retouched themselves. And if no payment changed hands, legally and in every other way it's fine to show this. Unfortunately anyone who says that this isn't the case doesn't understand the position either morally or legally.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Work that is created and produced (ie. not presentation material) is usually legal to use, but it's nice to ask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 AM

good point Markzebra...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs