Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Whats the next step I should take?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Whats the next step I should take?

So I just joined RetouchPro and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a student in my 3rd year of university studying graphic communication at the University for the Creative Arts in Farnham (UCA) and I finish in May! So not long to go now!

I'm currently looking for work for after I graduate and I really want to be a retoucher but I'm not sure where to look and how to improve my portfolio for this kind of work?

Unfortunately We didn't really get taught a lot about photo retouching on my course but I've taught myself ALOT via tutorials on the internet etc. I've been using photoshop now for about 5 or so years but I want to learn more. Are there any short courses anyone could recommend that aren't tooo pricey that I can do after my degree to improve my photoshop knowledge?

A lot of the work in my portfolio is typography and digital image based... I do a lot of photography as a hobby and retouch my photos all the time but I want to learn new advanced skills in retouching... I know how to airbrush to a certain extent but I want to be better!!

Thanks for your help! xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Re: Whats the next step I should take?

If you're really serious about it, I'd suggest taking an internship or a low-level position at a retouching studio and work your way up. If there's none in your area, consider moving to London. There's really no substitute for learning in real world scenarios. You don't have to have an amazing portfolio for entry level, just a willingness to learn. Good luck!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs