RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

First Interview

Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Exclamation First Interview

Hi, I'm a relatively young, self taught retoucher, and I have my first interview as a freelancer on Monday, does any one have any advice on what I should take to the interview or how to approach it?

Thanks so much!
Agnes
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Re: First Interview

Take a printed book if you have one. Expect to take a retouching test, and double check everything before you're done. Be personable! Sometimes the only difference between candidates is that one is more amicable and easier to work with than the others, so be sure that you're the one who gets called back. Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

And don't use your real name on forums in case the potential boss is a member here! ;-)

Good luck with your interview and come back and let us know how it went (and say good things about the experience just in case, ha!).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM

More generic comments than craft specific, but I hope these general suggestions help.

When asked a question, answer it without rambling onto other subjects that could hurt you. I'm not suggesting "one word" replies... Just keep focused.

Take time to research the company. Learn as much about it as you can. Be prepared to ask a few company-related questions yourself, e.g., "I read that you recently did work for [whomever]. How did that come about?" or "I've seen your ads for [xxx]. Can you tell me more about that?" Gives person doing the interview a chance to brag on the company, plus shows initiative on your part plus interest in company by you.

If there's a natural place too ask such questions for example if the interviewer asks, "Do you have any questions?" that's your cue. If not open the door yourself at the end with something like, "If there's time, I've got a couple questions if you don't mind."

In any event DO NOT come to the interview without a few relevant questions about the company or the job itself.

Also: Common question. "What do you know about our [firm, practice, business." Wrong answer: "Uh... not much." Right answer: {and ok to use notes) facts, info you have written down from Internet research. Sound like you're interested enough to have done some homework in preparation for the interview.

Be confident w/o being cocky.

If you're low on experience, focus on what you can do/have done, how you've self-learned, how much you ENJOY doing [what the job entails], your passion for the craft, realization you don't know it all, but look forward to learning more and more.

Be ready to answer a common question: "What do you see yourself doing in 5 years." Don't blather on about becoming the senior retoucher for People magazine or exclusive retoucher for Kim Kardashian. Something like, "I envison doing senior level work for a progressive and creative firm, hopefully this one. I envison having learned enough about the trade to take on the role of teaching junior associates." Whatever you come up with, PRACTICE this response in advance. (Have a friend, roommate, whomever ask you.)

If you show some of your work and the interviewer goes off on how great it is, "Thank you, I appreciate your kind words. I was very proud of this piece" is sufficient. Don't go off pounding your chest, giving yourself high-fives and shouting, "I rock, I'm bad. Who's your daddy?"

Generally speaking discussing pay should come after you're offered the job. If they're interested enough to offer you the job, then you have leverage on negotiating compensation.

Be sure to sincerely thank the interviewer at the end and shake hands (even if a female interviewer). Sometimes male interviewers are reluctant to initiate handshake with female candidates. Don't hesitate to stick your hand out. Initiate the shake. That will show confidence.

Regardless of gender do a firm (not bone crushing or especially whimpy/just fingers) handshake. Practice a few times in advance to literally get a feel for how to do it. A handshake and words of appreciation not only show respect and maturity, they communicate that you know how to act professionally (even though you're just a rookie). Very important if you will ever be interacting with clients/customers as part of the job.

Dress professionally/conservatively even if the place has a jeans and t-shirts tradition. You can always dress down AFTER you get to job.

Do some internet research on "effective interview" techniques/clues. A boatload of info, how to prepare, what to avoid. Get cracking. Time's a wasting.

Gotta run... off to church service.

Good luck.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 04-15-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: fix typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

That'd great advice for any interview situation, Danny!

In a humorous vein, I always think one should ask an interviewer, "If I am hired here, is there a chance I will end up interviewing candidates or manning job fairs?" Whenever I see a job fair I wonder about how this works... ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Agnes:

How did the interview go?

Regardless of good, not so good, or still waiting to hear back, what did you learn from the process?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs