RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Stigma Regarding Working For A Studio/House?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:58 PM

Re: Stigma Regarding Working For A Studio/House?

They're actually at an all time peak right now. So much for the recession.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Listen, here's the cold hard facts, so you won't waste your time.

There are three places in the country where you can reasonably expect to find day to day work as a retoucher. New York City, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Miami has some work, too, but, it would help to speak Spanish. It's a fairly easy language to learn, and the weather in February is awesome.
Sure, there are other little pockets around the country where you might find work, usually in house at various companies scattered about. But, if you lose that position for whatever reason, and there are many reasons these days, you will be in a place with no other alternatives. In New York, you will probably have another job in at least a month or so, even if it's freelance. But, the downside is that NYC rents are ridiculously expensive right now. It is not a cheap place to live. The upside is that it's an incredibly exciting place to live and work for a young person, and you will be challenged to be better by the hour, surrounded by thousands of smart, hip, and fun people doing the same.

Good Luck

btw, there is a job in Columbus that has been popping up on Monster a lot lately. Check it out.
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to write all of that info! It truly is helpful. And NYC was definitely first on my list of places, but it's a lot easier said than done I suppose.

My only question now is this: How do you even find these studios and houses to work for. I'm assuming you can't just google "Retouching jobs in NYC" and they will pop up (from some experience I think usually just bulk jobs for retail places usually do). Are there other ways of going about it or am I seriously just more oblivious than I originally anticipated?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Benny's right. My rent is ridiculous.

As far as finding jobs, there is usually always between five and ten retouching jobs listed on craigslist at any given time. There's also this site:

http://www.nyfa.org/opportunities.as...4&fid=1&sid=54

StellaDigital has a spot on there right now even.

You can also check LeBook.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
Benny's right. My rent is ridiculous.

As far as finding jobs, there is usually always between five and ten retouching jobs listed on craigslist at any given time. There's also this site:

http://www.nyfa.org/opportunities.as...4&fid=1&sid=54

StellaDigital has a spot on there right now even.

You can also check LeBook.com
I did see that one! Although the "Minimum 5 years experience working as a retoucher in a professional studio environment - Having worked for a major retouching house or agency is very helpful/essential" bit is a little problem haha.

But I will have to check out LeBook and I never even thought to check craigslist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsurndr View Post
I did see that one! Although the "Minimum 5 years experience working as a retoucher in a professional studio environment - Having worked for a major retouching house or agency is very helpful/essential" bit is a little problem haha.

But I will have to check out LeBook and I never even thought to check craigslist.
I think they also use GMG for proofing. If that is required, it has a little bit of a learning curve, not that I've spent much time with it. Also when they specifically specify within a studio, the issue is typically one of desired efficiency. There is such a massive range in working speeds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
They're actually at an all time peak right now. So much for the recession.
It's only a recession for the renters, not for the owners

You might want to to try a site like rentals.com or rents.com to get an idea of what different rents are in different parts of New York City. Or Los Angeles. Or even San Francisco (I'm assuming that's the right order in terms of number of jobs available in each given city). Or even Craigslist. Rents are high in these cities.

But there were high when I moved to the San Francisco area, too. And I had no training at all back then, in anything. But I made it, though I'm sure it's harder now.

You'll likely want to see about a roommate situation, certainly at first. That's can be risky, but it's usually much cheaper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Patron

Also, in the mean time, check around the web for gigs you could do long-distance. Hopefully the sites suggested above will help with that. And keep your eyes open here in the Classified section.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs