RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Digital Artist Requirements

Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Re: Digital Artist Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
There are two things universally beneficial about CMYK (and by that I mean any type of CMYK for any Printer) when retouching or correcting color:

1. The black channel - in order to emulate similar benefits in RGB one must go through too many hoops - and that is not just concerning shadow detail.

2. The ability to make the same color with different channel values - which leads to UCR and GCR - both impossible in RGB, and a real benefit when trying to hold some solid colors or neutral tones on press.
See I don't disagree with you here at all. It's just become somewhat of a final step as opposed to deal with it at the end rather than for the highest ink density first then reverse engineer if it will also be printed at lower ink limits on different stock.

I can deal without the advantage of a black channel for most things (figured that was one of the answers). As for undercolor / grey component (yes I knew them, I did not google that even though I rarely deal with things at that stage) I'm not used to heavy tweaking there. I've used things such as channel mixer to adjust the balance if the darker tones are going too warm. I've dealt with K only shadows, and if I have to convert something to cmyk, I know enough not to introduce clipping in the file.

I would like to know what resources you use for training there or if it's all just that you teach them there. CMYK has always been a weak point for me when it comes to finer details even though I know how not to mess up most things.

Quote:
Just let me know when you are in town for that tour.
I will take you up on that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
I wonder what's the pay rate for an artist/printer/quality control/operations manager?
My compensation is between me and the company.

I will say this: I have been at MP since 1996. I live in Southern California on ten acres and am in debt to no one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
I would like to know what resources you use for training there or if it's all just that you teach them there.
Teaching is done on the job. For reference we refer to a number of publications, and request that our Artists read them. Two books we use for retouching are:

1. Professional Photoshop, by Dan Margulis

2. Photoshop LAB Color, also by Dan Margulis.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I will say this: I have been at MP since 1996. I live in Southern California on ten acres and am in debt to no one.
I'm very glad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
The gamma encoding issue is built into profiles for the way things are displayed and output. While these aren't perfect, I've never seen gamma encoding as a frequently adjusted element..
Gamma is embedded in all profiles, and because of that can it be very beneficial when retouching. Ever have a really dark image?

Adobe 1998 has an embedded gamma of 2.2. In Photoshop you can create your own profiles. You can create an Adobe 1998 based profile with any gamma you want. With your dark image in the original Adobe 1998, assign it a custom version with a gamma of 1.8 and your image will now appear much lighter. This technique can be used for many different effects. It's simple, quick, and very effective.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Gamma is embedded in all profiles, and because of that can it be very beneficial when retouching. Ever have a really dark image?

Adobe 1998 has an embedded gamma of 2.2. In Photoshop you can create your own profiles. You can create an Adobe 1998 based profile with any gamma you want. With your dark image in the original Adobe 1998, assign it a custom version with a gamma of 1.8 and your image will now appear much lighter. This technique can be used for many different effects. It's simple, quick, and very effective.
I understand what is happening with gamma encoding. I just never used a reinterpretation of the numbers as a way to change the look. It's the kind of thing that could lead to a lot of unusual/unexpected behavior.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:

I don't think he was asking about your take. You sound like an owner or manager, who doesn't retouch, just conjures up tortuous tests for the worker bees. How much are they getting paid for being super geeks?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
I don't think he was asking about your take. You sound like an owner or manager, who doesn't retouch, just conjures up tortuous tests for the worker bees. How much are they getting paid for being super geeks?
Everyone in the department retouches images and works with clients. Super geeks? I think we would prefer highly skilled, expert craftsmen, who know the technical side of off-set printing.

Our pay is commensurate with our ability.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 AM

Benny! LOL, cutting through the BS LOL

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM

LMAO; you're a baaaad man Benny. Anyway Shoku you clearly work for a solid and professional outfit and more power to your elbow. We all know what you're saying and wouldn't disagree (to a greater or lesser extent) but your working environment has little relevance to a pure retouchers life. It's not all about the numbers - you've got to feel it in the guts!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs