Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

I want to become a Retouch Pro!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Cool I want to become a Retouch Pro!

Hi my name is Jesse and I'm excited to join this community!

I love working with images and doing manipulation, editing & retouching.

I have 2 questions

1) If I want to become a pro retoucher, what are the best online resources to gain this knowledge? Online is my only option right now..

2) Is it worth investing time and money into becoming a pro retoucher and creating a killer portfolio? I mean there is a lot of competition, we have the crappy economy & it might not be a wise future career choice anymore.

I look forward to your responses,

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Re: I want to become a Retouch Pro!

Welcome to the forum. There are many resources from YouTube to Model Mayhem to these august forums. It's a case of sorting wheat from chaff and what suits you at the given time. It shouldn't get too expensive initially. Build a portfolio with killer images and then think about a website, otherwise join community sites like behance and here and perhaps a retouching forum or two.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Re: I want to become a Retouch Pro!

If you're really serious about retouching professionally, save yourself a lot of time and grief and consider moving to a larger media market city such as New York. It's entirely possible to work freelance remotely these days, sure, but doing this work day in day out with real working photographers is what will elevate your skills to ensure that you can do this and make a living out of it. You will need lots and LOTS of practice. There's that Malcolm Gladwell book, Outliers, where he postulates that to be an expert in any area, one needs 10,000 hours devoted to the practice of that craft. You don't have to be expert level to make a living as a retoucher in the beginning, but all of the great ones who live comfortably have certainly devoted a fair share of their time to it's practice.
If you're not in or near a major city and are unwilling to go to where the work is, then maybe consider something else. I think doing that is a far better investment than online tutorials and books/dvd's. Working on actual jobs with actual stakes is what makes your skills improve the most efficiently.

Being an artist in general is usually never a "wise" career choice, but if you're doing what you love and getting paid for it, it's pretty great.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs