RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How much to tutor?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM

How much to tutor?

Hi all, I've been offered a brief job tutoring a college student and helping her through her technology class. She is baffled by Photoshop. I'm confident that I can be a help to her, show her how to implement her ideas. I don't have a clue what to charge. Anyone done this before? Any thoughts? I need the money and she's a college student and doesn't have much so I want to keep it really reasonable for her. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Patron

Re: How much to tutor?

If you are just helping her understand what was taught by the teacher... this might provide a price guide:

http://www.payscale.com/af/calc.aspx...g&city=&state=

If you are teaching from scratch then let your conscious and expertise be your guide ... implement and/or test your negotiation skills if you want to become her mentor.. (Keeping in mind the value she may bring down the line when, in the future, she may become a valuable resource when you are up against a horrific deadline)

Then again sometimes the payment is simply doing something nice for someone whom we want to help... without expectations
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Wow, I looked at the website and that seems extremely low. Not necessarily in this instance but overall, man, we need to pay our teachers more. I don't understand how flipping burgers and helping to educate someone can pay the same.
What's happening is she is on her way to becoming an art teacher and the teacher in this one class is in love with PS. She's given an artsy project not unlike our contests and has to put it together. She needs me to show her how to bend Photoshop to her will to make the project happen. She is coming up to meet me for coffee on Sunday and have me help her on her laptop. If those are the going rates I'll probably just take whatever she offers. Thanks Baldy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2012, 06:36 PM

I honestly would just charge per learning session instead of hourly. It's like going to a conference, you just charge for 1 day, or 2 day, etc.

To actually make money in college, I would tutor middle school math. Everything was via word of mouth so I knew my "students" well. I would look at their syllabus and charge per sections.

IE: If they were learning trigonometry, I would tutor for chapters 2-6 (this includes HW help) up to when they take the test for those sections. My price range varied between $500-$800 depending on how much help the child needed (3-4 meets up for 3-4hrs each week, etc).

For your case, depending on how much you have to teach her. Charge 300 or whatever for one session which would include 5hrs/6hrs/etc. and you'll teach her this, this, and that. Etc. I understand she's a "poor college student" but if she's that poor and can't pay you, don't let her take advantage of you, i'm sure she's bright enough to teach herself via valuable resources online.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 PM

Crystal, problem is it's been a tough year. Truth be told if she offered me 20 bucks for 2 hours I couldn't turn my nose up at it. Puts food in the dogs bowl.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 PM

Well you do what you got to do. Just don't let her take advantage of you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs