RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

To tickle your funny bone.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 AM

To tickle your funny bone.

Hi, I put an ad up on a site for retouching, restoration, and editing. Pretty generic, nothing about altering documents. Below is a copy of an email I got in response.

"Hello
I have some tax docs that I need change some numbers , this is to reset my home mortgage to avoid foreclosure , the mortgage company wants to see income lower.

this is not tax fraud , the banks have crazy rules

I have 9 docs with 2 or 3 numbers per doc that need edits

I don't want to ask you to do something your not comfortable with

Thanks for reading"
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 AM

Re: To tickle your funny bone.

LOL, good one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM

"this is not tax fraud"

Um, but, it's bank fraud, mortgage fraud, and, well, just plain fraud.

Was it signed by a bank employee?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM

No, after talking with him a little more by email I found that he wanted me to lower some numbers on his tax filing paperwork for 1 year. Lower things by about 10K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 PM

I was being a little sarcastic. If you've been following this whole robo signing thing, you'll know that thousands of documents coming out of banks into the courts have fraudulent signatures. Of course, they're immune from prosecution in today's world. This guy may not be.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Patron

I'm sure that I do not understand the tax situation in the USA but that aside this does sound fraudulent to me.

Why ask someone to photoshop tax documents that have already been filed with the IRS(?) to a lower figure than the submitted documentation.

If the figures are incorrect then surely there must be a method to change this via the IRS? However plausible the account would seem I think I would walk quickly away from this one
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM

It was something to do with his mortgage. Showing too much income was going to raise the payments or something. The figures were correct, he just wanted to show $10,000 less income on his returns. Not for the IRS but for the mortgage company. NO ONE understands the US tax situation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 AM
Patron

Ahh, I see it was mortgage fraud that he was intending. Thats ok then

In the UK it is fraud to fail to disclose proper income to mortgage companies, for example exaggerting income to gain access to larger funds and I would assume the same would be true for knowingly giving a false figure lower than actual income. I understand that the maximum penalty for this type of offence is 14 years imprisonment.

So if it is any similar in the US then if he was 'found out' by the motgagee would they try to take legal action against him and also against those that helped him in 'fraudulent' activity?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post

So if it is any similar in the US then if he was 'found out' by the motgagee would they try to take legal action against him and also against those that helped him in 'fraudulent' activity?
At the height of the housing bubble in, oh, around 04-05, one could get a high six figure to million dollar first or even second mortgage in America, especially California, with no proof of income or assets. And, it's not as though the people who were taking the loans thought this up - it was the servicers and banks who were pushing them. Free money! And, nobody from the industry is in jail for this. What a country!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
At the height of the housing bubble in, oh, around 04-05, one could get a high six figure to million dollar first or even second mortgage in America, especially California, with no proof of income or assets. And, it's not as though the people who were taking the loans thought this up - it was the servicers and banks who were pushing them. Free money! And, nobody from the industry is in jail for this. What a country!
Wow, as much money as you you wanted without any proof you would be able to afford the loan repayments!!

Used to be quite different here as when we first got married the maximum mortgage you could take out was based on income (including a portion of spouse income) and initially was set to be about x2.5 total income maximum.

Not a bad idea IMHO as it meant that the lender could be confident that you would be able to keep up with payments i.e. at least you would be able to pay your bills and eat regularly .

This situation changed some years ago and the income multiplier went up to about x5 yearly income - how people managed to live with this burden I can only imagine. Now I think this has been reduced and mortgages are not as easy to obtain as they once were.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs