RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Living as retoucher

Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 AM

Living as retoucher

Anyone here living for retouching commercial work?I am working as freelance photo assistant here in philippines.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Re: Living as retoucher

I was photo assistant in Poland. Sallary about 1000 USD per month. Nice work if you have 20 years old. Now I work as retoucher free lancer. I am owner of retouchbox.com where you can find free and premium raw files to download. www.retouchbox.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 AM

That's nice to hear dustor,How's your business going on?Been photo assistant since 2009.
and i really love photography.but now i decide that i still can't afford to buy my own
equipment.I decide to be a retoucher.But i feel discourage because of what i saw on some
online outsourcing websites.they offer $1 per image for a retoucher.
Do you also do desktop publishing/poster,brouchure..etc. graphic design related.Or you
just focus on retouhcing?I don't know if should i focus on my skills to earn for a living or study and do anything related to graphic design just to earn for a living and support my retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Patron

Hi Sandeepivan,

You haven't shared what your budget is, but even the lowest-cost entry-level DSLR or a even one-piece cameras with a decent zoom range nowadays can help you get started. All your camera needs is the ability to override the automatic settings with manual controls (shutter speed, aperture, ISO). My first digital camera was a one-piece camera with a nice built-in zoom (18-200mm equivalent focal length). And today's one-piece cameras are much better than mine was.

You can do landscapes and fine art pieces and make them artistic in Photoshop, and no one will know what kind of camera you used. Or you can do portraits for people, schools, sports teams, etc. and if your images look great then almost no one will care what camera you used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the advise robert ash.sometimes i feel discourage of some local photographers here in my area.I really appreciate your advise.thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM

Saw your facebook page.Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Patron

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks very much for Liking my Robert Ash Photography page on Facebook Much appreciated.

It turns out that within the past week or two I've published a couple of articles in my Photography page explaining my approach to buying equipment for professional results but on a reasonable budget.

Also, a good number of the images on my website, images I've exhibited and sold to collectors, were photographed with a one-piece camera. During my exhibitions almost no one who bought a print asked what kind of camera I used for those images --and when they did and I told them, they were pretty amazed

As I tell people all the time - it's not the camera, it's the eye behind it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Talking Re: Living as retoucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustor View Post
I was photo assistant in Poland. Sallary about 1000 USD per month. Nice work if you have 20 years old. Now I work as retoucher free lancer. I am owner of retouchbox.com where you can find free and premium raw files to download. www.retouchbox.com
Interesting business you've got. I didn´t know this existed... I just bought Carrie Beenes' book Real Retouching: A Professional Step-by-Step Guide hoping to improve my skin retouching skills... so maby I'll be buying some images from your store to practice.

by the way do you offer any discounts?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs