Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How do you deliver/receive work?

View Poll Results: How do you deliver/receive work?
Client comes to my home 13 22.03%
Client comes to my office 10 16.95%
I go to client 14 23.73%
Client ships to me, I ship back 20 33.90%
Client emails/ftp a file, I send back 30 50.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2004, 02:39 PM
I try to be 100% digital when possible. I'm lazy and don't like to figure in scanning costs into my estimates ::grinz::

I normally receive files via email and deliver them via posting to my ftp (I would have people upload to my ftp but they always seem to get confused)

There is also a wonderful online "hard drive" called xdrive that I use with one photographer. There is a folder for lab scans on one for finished retouches. Great system.

I also prefer to contact people using email instead of phone. I like to have records. I also do not like to be called 50 times in a 24 hr period to see how the work is progressing.

Am I a hermit???...LOL!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Retail Space?

Doug you left out "retail" or store space. While the percentage here may be small, I would think that retail space would be a goal for anyone who wanted to build a substantial business following.

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Thomasgeorge and Sanda:
Where do you get your acid free folders and do you have the Logo printed on them or do you use a stamp. Also does anyone have price lists they would like to share, Let us know what part of the country your business is and how you charge..hour or by the job? Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 09:09 AM
This is a hard poll to get accurate feedback, a lot of folks have a home/office. The majority of my work is delivered there, but some comes in by USPS. I have several frame shops etc. that I have to pick up work from. I do nothing via the Internet, haven't needed to so far. I hold on to the original until I'm paid. If I don't know the customer I charge 50% deposit up front. I use the archival folder, but hadn't thought to logo it. Duh! ...skip
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 05:23 PM
My site was designed with a backend that automates most areas: : an admin, artist and client areas. The only thing that it does not handled is quality control. The artist files do not go to the client but are directed to the admin who, after review, can release them to the client area for proofing.
Of course mailing is also not automated.

Last edited by Nanls; 02-23-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 11:02 PM
HI everyone! I'm new; my name is Janeen, 30 years old, currently living in Long Beach, CA.

I've been a professional retoucher for about three years now, working in-house at portrait studios. It's been really hard to get a steady 40 hours a week, the work flow varies a lot and some months have been difficult financially, depending on the season and the particular studio.

Thus I have been starting to add freelance clients to supplement my regular income, in addition to capturing stock imagery using my Epson scanner, doing fine art photography (will be posting it on in the future), and also doing digitally-enhanced pencil portraits.

I'm in the process of setting up a website and learning how to set up FTP capability on it. I currently work with one studio using Gotomypc software. It's really great because I can connect with their actual computer desktop (remotely controlling it) and download files from a folder they have designated for me. They can also pull up files on their desktop and since I can see them too, we can discuss the work that needs to be done through a chat window or by phone. This method is workable only if the your client REALLY trusts you, because I could delete anything I wanted to on their networked computers, if for any reason I had a grudge against them. I'm not the sort of person that would ever do that, but still!

I have another photographer who has sent me a couple of files through found this resource recommended on this site when I was surfing. It has really worked well so far! Thanks for that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 PM

I only ever use FTP. I set up a passworded area on my host server where clients can upload their files. Nobody can see there images without the Log in and Password details.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs