RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

bidding for an upcoming job

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM

bidding for an upcoming job

hi everyone.

i'm bidding for a fairly large job. there are about 20 files that need to be worked on for a well-known footwear company's catalog. they're product shots set in a manufactured environment, no compositing or swap-outs, standard background cleanup, and treated to have a crunchy, super sharp, crispy look.

i'm not sure where to bid on this... i feel like it will take me between an hour and a half and two hours for each image, and i'll have a little over a week to produce everything.

any ideas? i've been asking for between 75 and 150 an hour depending on the job, but never worked on anything of this scale. my thought is to figure out a "per file" charge, multiply that by how many files i need to do, and then shave off a certain percentage. but i don't know if there's a formula or rule that's employed for this type of thing, or a better way of bidding based on scale and man-hours. i'm not necessarily looking for a specific number as answer, just a methodology for approaching this stuff (if one exists).

i have to put the bid in tomorrow, but regardless of when anyone in-the-know sees this, any advice, help, tips or feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated.

many thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2013, 02:17 AM

Re: bidding for an upcoming job

Stick with your normal rates and don't try and double guess your clients expectations. As the work doesn't sound too difficult (believe me, that will change when you get the job!) you can quote at your lower rate. You can't discount for volume because image 20 will be just as time consuming as image 1 - nothing worse than doing stuff for free! I do lots of multiple image work and simply multiply each image by my hourly rate whether it's times 5 or 50. Remember it's a job not a hobby.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM

thanks so much for the great advice. you're totally right about the volume discount; i just didn't know if there was some kind of weird "toilet paper" rule that applied, where if you buy 4 rolls the per-unit cost is more than if you buy 12. but yeah, same amount of work, same price throughout. makes sense.

thanks again. i really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Good luck with your pitch MrZ!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2013, 04:08 PM

How many hours do you think it will take? 10 or 20? Try to figure out what the client can afford and play side that. This sounds like a very simple job in would imagine 5-10 hours so between $375-$750 if you bill at $75per hour. I run a retouching department who deals with major global brands and that budget would fit in with most clients without an issue. To help you ask for 50% up front and the balance on delivery that way your happy and their budget is happy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 AM

Hey mrzachman,
In my experience, its very easy to convince myself a job is easier/less-time-consuming than it really is (because I want to make the client happy, or I know I'm bidding against others etc.)

2 hours seems high given your description, but if you really believe its going to take between 1.5-2 hours each, you should go with your gut on that.
Build in some time for project management on top of your 30-40 hours. Realise project management per image goes down as the quantity goes up.

Then give a discount based on quantity (depending on how hungry you are for this job).

All due respect to those above, but $375 would be terribly low for this job (done by a professional freelancer in North America)

Good Luck - I'm bidding against you!
Just kidding.
--Shift Studio
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM

We're singing off the same hymn sheet but I'm not sure why you would give a discount for volume. No way will 20 images go through without the client saying 'oh, I forgot to mention...' or there being issues with the overall treatment which has yet to be determined. You can burn a lot of hours getting to base one on these jobs. We can't know all the details but this has the sniff of a $2k plus project IMHO and he'll earn every penny.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs