RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How do I find Part time work in Retouching?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 AM

How do I find Part time work in Retouching?

Hello all,

Are their any female or male retouchers out there that are struggling to find a work/life balance with home and family? I am a female retoucher with 17 years experience but have recently had to leave a fulltime job because it was taking over my life, I never saw my children and was constantly ill with exhaustion trying to do it all. Freelance doesn't work out for me, as its so uncertain! When I have organised childcare that has taken a week to prepare, the booking almost always gets cancelled, 6 times in 2 months!

So, how DO we stay in the industry we trained for? I want to work 2-3 days per week, end of. I realise they will most likely be longer days. How do we get our industry to embrace the Power Part Time incentive?

Any thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated, Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Re: How do I find Part time work in Retouching?

welcome to my world. I want the home/work life balance, see my wife and kid, but it just is really difficult in this industry. I say go to some local shops and say you want a set part time schedule. The way things are looking , at least in Toronto, it would probably net you a lot of opportunities.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM

I'm from Toronto actually, but have lived in London for 16 yrs. Not suprising that its no different in any major city.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Sounds like what I'm going through in NYC, too. I did find a gig that is very flexible for a dot com. The project deadlines are so predictable that they can plan to hire enough people to work a steady stream. The catch is, dot com retouching is incredibly boring. However, I am seriously considering it because they pay more and work less. Working 3-4 days (or however long I want) a week sounds very appealing despite the boredom. I can take up my own projects outside of work to fill the mental void. It's hard to give up the high-end work, though. But for some reason, they are paying less for high end work these days and working ridiculous hours. I don't get it. It's the latest dilemma in my life.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Hi Little Fisher,

I hadn't really thought outside the usual graphic/packaging design studio set up,
there may well be loads of opportunity for flexi work with retouching clothing and products shots for online retail. As I am mainly a food and drink retoucher I may even try the catering companies.

Will look into it.

Thank you and good luck finding the right balance for yourself
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs