RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

$13.50/hr for Dell ads.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 AM

Re: $13.50/hr for Dell ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
a lot of agencies try (at least in Toronto) try to have their own in house retouching.
Yes, they do, or try to in my experience too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
Yes, they do, or try to in my experience too.
By "try to" - do you mean they try to get the photographer to let them retouch the images at the agency VS the photographer or his own preferred retoucher doing it? Right now my current client is a direct client, no agency involved. I did the production as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Yes, they have their 'photoshop guy' who often doubles as a production artist do the work instead of the photographer or photographer's retoucher do the work.
Sometimes its fine, and sometimes they are in over their head - because the photoshop guy is mid-level as far as photoshop goes, and he/she makes a production artist's (artworkers) salary. 10-15 years ago, I was that guy. Bigger agencies would have more of these workers who do proportionately less production work and proportionately more retouching, creative retouching. Agencies with multiple offices often try to have all their image work done by a retoucher(s) in another one of their offices - it may be across the country, but its still 'in-house'.

Make sense?
--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, they have their 'photoshop guy' who often doubles as a production artist do the work instead of the photographer or photographer's retoucher do the work.
Sometimes its fine, and sometimes they are in over their head - because the photoshop guy is mid-level as far as photoshop goes, and he/she makes a production artist's (artworkers) salary. 10-15 years ago, I was that guy. Bigger agencies would have more of these workers who do proportionately less production work and proportionately more retouching, creative retouching. Agencies with multiple offices often try to have all their image work done by a retoucher(s) in another one of their offices - it may be across the country, but its still 'in-house'.

Make sense?
--Shift Studio.
That's what I was thinking - trying to "in source", and it rarely seems to work out well - all the best talent tend to leave those gigs and freelance. How successful were they at getting the retouching work? That's one of my profit areas, especially since I aim for clients that need complex work done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Well for mid-level image work it can work just fine. As far as 'getting' the retouching work goes, generally they (ad agency) are the ones sourcing & hiring & directing the photographer, so they have the 'say', unless the photographer feels strongly against it. Other times the end client has a preference who photographs and/or retouches. Honestly the dynamics for this kind of thing are endless - nothing is set in stone in my experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Sometimes its fine, and sometimes they are in over their head - because the photoshop guy is mid-level as far as photoshop goes, and he/she makes a production artist's (artworkers) salary. 10-15 years ago, I was that guy. Bigger agencies would have more of these workers who do proportionately less production work and proportionately more retouching, creative retouching.

Hi Shift,

I was that guy for several years, too, until recently. How did you transition out? Was it a sideways move or up or down?

Also, $13.50/hour sounds bleak. But given how agencies work here in Toronto, I'm not surprised whatsoever.

Rydiant
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM

It seems to me that the better you are at compositing - very different from retouching - the more likely you are to earn more and freelance. Obviously there are no set rates, but what do good compositors get? I'm doing a ton of composites right now and have been able to negotiate what I think is a respectable deal but I have no real baseline aside from all inclusive high end beauty retouch rates in the $400 per image range. I don't think you can price composites per image though - far too custom.

PS: I'm doing some images that take around 16 hours to complete.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 AM

CM. Like you, I mostly do comps and charge for the time it takes - let's face it, you breeze through some of them and others can have you in knots for a couple of days. I made more money 15 years ago but it seems everyone now is a retoucher! Sure, I still get plenty of tricky jobs but I used to get well paid for the easy stuff too. Agencies aren't outsourcing as much, photographers are learning to DIY and all this against the backdrop of a flatlining economy. Dealing direct with marketing depts has proved fruitful and cuts out the ad agency la-di-dah BS. Tough times but everything goes in cycles. Sheesh, who'd be a retoucher!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM

If you are doing any work for an ad agency other than cleaning up after the regular employees leave and you get paid $13.50 you need to get the hell out of there. List them as a reference, but get out. Either freelance or find another agency who pays you proper... No actually just freelance.

P.S.

Bail
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM

Just an update - I'm still here and 50% of my job is commercial art buying (extremely stressful) and 50% is retouch composite work. Clearly starting to feel I'm being taken advantage of - not sure how long I'll stay.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs