RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

$13.50/hr for Dell ads.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM

$13.50/hr for Dell ads.

Please hear me out.

When I first started this job, I was grateful and more excited than anything. I'm a contractor for Dell's ad agency.

I am about 7 months in, and I'm generally starting to think I'm extremely underpaid for the work I do. I do heavy composite work on Dell lifestyle images, mostly product placement and product substitution. You see these in web ads, direct mail pieces, brochures, etc.

They have also recently given me the Art Buyer responsibility on top of the work I'm already drowned in. The amount of stress I'm under on a daily basis continues to grow. The office politics, long commute each day, bleak environment is taking a toll.

This is not my first retouching position. I don't think working here is worth my time anymore and I'd like some opinions on what you might do if you were in the same position. Asking for an hourly increase is a given no-no, as the company currently has a hiring freeze and huge budget crunches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Re: $13.50/hr for Dell ads.

Sounds like a bad situation!
Please tell us your location. $13.50 is barely more than a fast food worker wage in Calgary, but is acceptable or even good in many places.
Anyways, I would get out of there if it were making me miserable.

--Shift Studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 03-04-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM

I'm in Austin, Texas. We have an arts & crafts retail store here called Hobby Lobby that starts out at $13.50/hr..

Last edited by Shookone89; 03-04-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 PM

"I don't think working here is worth my time anymore"

So what changed to make it go from worth your time to not worth your time?

You do have the ability to tell them I quit. If you did do you think that they could find someone to replace you at that pay rate? If you are that unhappy give them an ultimatum and be prepared to back it up.

Be a bit more careful about accepting the next job offer you get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM

Michael Dell is a classic example of a modern American robber baron, a thief and a scoundrel who at this moment is lying and deceiving the shareholders of his company to take it private for what may be hundreds of millions in personal gains.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-jobs-timeline

And, this coming from his mouth, which you hear from many other overpaid American CEOs: "By the end of 2010, Dell Inc. shares have gained nearly 80% from February 2009's low. Michael Dell tells Reuters that one of his biggest problems is finding skilled American workers: "I want to put a massive 'we're hiring' sign out.""

Right. A man who has sent thousands of jobs overseas.

He hasn't created a thing in his life. He has sold junk, problematic computers comprised of cheap parts since he started his business back in his dorm room. He once said that Apple and Steve Jobs didn't even have the right to be in business. How'd that one work out?

Quit your job, and make it just a little more difficult for this man to become even richer. Hell, at that kind of wage, I'd rather be a lift op or barista at some beautiful western ski area. Much more fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 AM

problem is there is always someone out there that will work for less than you and continue to drive our trade (and it is still a trade) into the toilet. Used to be a time when you could make a really good living out of this business. Now most can barely scrape by. We need to stop doing complete beauty retouching with a comp for $3 and image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Michael Dell is a classic example of a modern American robber baron, a thief and a scoundrel who at this moment is lying and deceiving the shareholders of his company to take it private for what may be hundreds of millions in personal gains.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-jobs-timeline

And, this coming from his mouth, which you hear from many other overpaid American CEOs: "By the end of 2010, Dell Inc. shares have gained nearly 80% from February 2009's low. Michael Dell tells Reuters that one of his biggest problems is finding skilled American workers: "I want to put a massive 'we're hiring' sign out.""

Right. A man who has sent thousands of jobs overseas.

He hasn't created a thing in his life. He has sold junk, problematic computers comprised of cheap parts since he started his business back in his dorm room. He once said that Apple and Steve Jobs didn't even have the right to be in business. How'd that one work out?

Quit your job, and make it just a little more difficult for this man to become even richer. Hell, at that kind of wage, I'd rather be a lift op or barista at some beautiful western ski area. Much more fun.
I work for an ad agency, not Dell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shookone89 View Post
I work for an ad agency, not Dell.
What ad agencies have their own in house retouching? I've never heard of that before, retouching houses with teams of people - heard of those. You'll do better striking out on your own and cutting out the middle man. I'm currently working with a very particular client who has been burned many times in the past by shoddy work and they are paying great money for the work. It's tough, they are picky (to the point of specifying exact pantone colors being used in the image), but I'd rather work with these folks than many of the other lower end clients out there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmaverick View Post
What ad agencies have their own in house retouching? I've never heard of that before, retouching houses with teams of people - heard of those. You'll do better striking out on your own and cutting out the middle man. I'm currently working with a very particular client who has been burned many times in the past by shoddy work and they are paying great money for the work. It's tough, they are picky (to the point of specifying exact pantone colors being used in the image), but I'd rather work with these folks than many of the other lower end clients out there.
Yeah, Dell's team of project managers are also very picky and have strict guidelines. The MDF team is also very strict on the guidelines we have for third party promotion (microsoft, intel, etc). For example, if something as little as the Start button on a Windows screen is not visible or is covered by something else in the scene, Dell doesn't get reimbursed.

At this point, I am 25 years old bringing in almost $400 a week after taxes. It's pretty depressing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmaverick View Post
a lot of agencies try (at least in Toronto) try to have their own in house retouching.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs