Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Rates for portfolio work?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Re: Rates for portfolio work?

I did free work when I was starting, but be discerning. Not all free work is worth it. Vet who is asking you. 90% aren't worth it. I work in film and stills. The issue I had with free short films: very few directors were willing to spend a few grand submitting their work into a lot of festivals which equaled my work not getting seen. Bad deal for me.

As far as price goes, I don't compete on price anymore. Yeah, you have a smaller client base, but it winds up being the clients everyone *wishes they had*.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cardmaverick View Post
All software will move in this direction for one simple reason: they can finally control it and clamp down on piracy. I predicted this move about 5 years ago.
It's not just for that reason. It's more basic than that, it's what Benny pointed out - they can charge a lot more via monthly payments than then can selling the software for one lump sum.

I used to be a NAPP member and before I left, Adobe announced this rental software idea. I posted a cost comparison for buy vs. rent over time, and 'buy' was the better financial option for the customer, hands-down, from a total cost of ownership basis.

Clamping down on piracy is the gravy, not the meat. Hackers will figure out how to pirate rental software, too, it's just a matter of time. But those monthly payments, that's the sizzle with the steaks for companies that do it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 AM

I will admit that I never paid for Photoshop until 5. I was always amazed at how easy it was to "borrow" a copy before that. No more.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs