RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Comparing work environments in New York City

Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Re: Comparing work environments in New York City

"My advice is, if you're going to work crazy hours, never go on salary."

This.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 PM

It probably works out the same monetarily... crazy hours on freelance paid hourly but sporadic work vs crazy hours on salary, but at work all time. Hmm. I just hate when companies take advantage of their salaried employees.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 AM

Hey guys - sorry to bust in on your thread - I am thinking of re-locating and wondered if you know or are willing to tell me what a Top Rate per hour is in NY? Thanks for your time in advance and if you work too hard life aint worth it. you can most probably earn the same working for yourself... ? I do... Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 PM

Exactly what kind of retouching are you guys doing? White background product shots? I think it's really important to identify what you are *actually doing* when discussing work and rates. You can't just generically say retouching, it's not helpful. Some of us do complex ad work, others are online catalog shot retouchers - very different worlds.

With that said....

I know of a few online product wholesalers out west who have in house product photography departments - all of them are hourly and I'm surprised too find that a few of them offer full benefits (medical / dental) and 401K. That really surprised me. It's all white background boredom though. 8-5, 40 hour weeks. I've seen first hand the real estate photography workshops - I felt bad for those souls. I think they were salary but they clearly are worked like slaves since some companies guarantee 24 hour turn around times. I don't believe they had any benefits or 401k options.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 PM

I'm doing primarily fashion and beauty for both editorial and advertising clients. No white backgrounds!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSERFERNANDES View Post
Hey guys - sorry to bust in on your thread - I am thinking of re-locating and wondered if you know or are willing to tell me what a Top Rate per hour is in NY? Thanks for your time in advance and if you work too hard life aint worth it. you can most probably earn the same working for yourself... ? I do... Cheers.
I hear ya... I've decided to stay freelance. It's just not worth 50-60 hour weeks for the price of 40. F that noise. That said, a top rate for a high-end retoucher in NYC could top out around $150 an hour... but that is very rare. You would need to have a reputation and some hype to get clients willing to pay that. The range in rates vary greatly and sometimes it makes no sense. In my experience, the ranges have been sort of like this, depending on your skill level: Junior- $25-$40, Mid Level: $40-$60, Senior: $60 - up. It also depends who the client is (big corporation, individual photographer, retouching studio) Often, there is a lot of delicate negotiation needed to get what you want. They always seems to try to talk you into a lower rate blaming it on the poor economy, which isn't all that bad anymore. In NYC, the best BS artist wins, but it helps if you actually have artistic talent and a portfolio to prove it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs