RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Dealing with clients....who are photographers

Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Re: Dealing with clients....who are photographers

It's true that more is left for post. The reason being, post is simply more efficient for most of this crap.

Listen, I'm a photog turned retoucher -- I know both sides. More of my income is from retouching than photography these days. Retouchers shouldn't feel so exploited, it's the photographers who are loosing their shirts off of this "new" reality. More work for you guys, while the photographer is now expected to produce 4 times the volume at a quarter the price of Benny (and my) 8x10 days.

Yo, Benny, why'd you stop assisting and go into retouching if photography was so damn easy?

Now put your head phones back on and push that mean, mean stylus around and stop yer sobbin'. This is what you're paid for, isn't it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 AM

I happen to think that this a good discussion going on here from multiple angles, though I've never understood how these threads degrade into endless volleys of personal insults. I feel like I'm reading Youtube comments sometimes, and I don't even get to see cat videos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2013, 12:23 PM

What insults?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Patron

How about front covers shot at 1600+ ISO? Maybe it's just me, but where was the thought process in that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post

Yo, Benny, why'd you stop assisting and go into retouching if photography was so damn easy?
Well, first, I never had the capital to open my own studio. Daddy wasn't rich. I know that it's different today, and a lot of people rent everything, including space, but that wasn't so back in the day.
Also, after working for a few of these guys, I had no taste for competing with their 7am to 2am work days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Yo guys, sorry, I was in a churlish mood.

But what sometimes happens on these shoots is the hair starts out nice, everybody did their job. Then it's "can we see it with the fan on?", then it's back to "can we neaten it up?", then the fan again, etc. After a while the hair is a brittle nest, they're running late, no one wants to pay overtime, etc, and stuff starts to slide.

It's really just a lot easier to let one person clean it up than to pay the whole crew overtime or book an additional day.

Benny, I don't know about those banker's hours, my experience is more like 7am to 9pm. But you're right, retouching is a whole lot smaller of a "machine" to run.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 PM

You mis-read. I said 7am to 2am.

A couple of guys had families in the burbs. I don't think they ever saw them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM

I began shooting in 1983. One rule I learned early on was always shoot more than you need. Different angles, different F-stops, different cropping, etc.
This was to ensure you got what was needed. Nothing worse than leaving a shoot lacking that one shot that was missed.

This is something every good photographer should understand. And it still applies today. Retouching may be less complicated today (not much of a need for transparency retouchers) but that doesn't eliminate smart shooting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
You mis-read. I said 7am to 2am.

A couple of guys had families in the burbs. I don't think they ever saw them.
Yeah, mis-read. You got it right, man.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM

Hiring a stylist for a shoot is costly and most of the time a client wants it simple and cheap. As a retoucher you will need to talk with the photographer to get all the shots you need. most of the time things are already shot and sets taken down before you see what you have to work with, but thats why retouchers exist. Getting all the shots needed is nice but wont always happen. Figuring out how to make it happen is where the real talent comes in.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs