RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

International Business

Old 09-03-2002, 12:23 PM

International Business

I wonder... what is everyone's view on doing photo restoration internationally? If your business has a website, you are inevitably going to get restoration requests from other countries. What are the ups and downs to doing business internationally? Are there legal issues associated? Tax issues?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 01:59 PM

I think it sounds like a idea worth investigating!! Perhaps the Chamber of commerce would be a good place to start...They could point you in the right direction, at least as far as who else to contact....keep us informed of what you find out! I think you have an excellent idea!! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 04:41 PM

I've done quite a few international orders. Canada is the main place my international customers come from. Ocasionally I get some from the USA.
I had one recently everything went fine until I requested payment. She simply didn't send the cheque this is the first international customer who has defaulted in payment. She must have changed her mind, I believe it was because my postal address in Australia but I can't prove that.Maybe she didn't realize I was here, I just don't know. I have done the work but have not sent it to her so all I'm out is my time. But I'm a little peeved about it. It's clear that I'm in Australia on my web site in my contact information, which she used to contact me in the first place.

Last edited by Sanda; 09-03-2002 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 04:46 PM

Sandra,I wonder what difference it would make where you live. If you do the work at the contracted price, I guess I don't see the problem.

Dealing with the public can be frustrating sometimes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 05:03 PM

I might be being over critical of this particular situation. Maybe she would have defaulted where ever I was.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 07:17 PM

I guess I am wondering how it works if someone in Pakistan or China sends you a check - how does the bank read that and how would you know if it is for the correct amount?

Sanda,

Would the customer send you a check for the equivalent of your price in canadian money or USD? I think the key with international orders is to require a deposit, that way at least you won't loose all the money if they don't pay the remainder.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 07:33 PM

I quote my prices in $US and ask for payment in $US for all international orders, it's too difficult to convert different currencies. My bank has no probelm with $US they do charge me a conversion fee but I take that into account when I quote.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2002, 08:10 PM
Janitor

I recently finished a job for a man in Argentina. He paid by cc and emailed me a scan, and I emailed back the finished work. Couldn't ask for a better client.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 05:01 PM

Just had a new expreience with international orders. My client said she was paying by cheque but sent a money order instead. This poses a problem, the money order can only be cashed in the USA. So I have to work out what to do with it. I'm not sure if I send it back to her if she will be able to get a refund as the money order is made out to Photo Renovate. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions or anybody know if money orders are refundable to the purchaser?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2002, 07:33 PM

I'm not well-versed about money orders, but the Western Union website mentions that there is a fee for refunding a money order, so it sounds like they allow it for ones they write out. There is a Western Union office in Queensland that is listed as doing payouts IF the money order is one of theirs.

Western Union - AU
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs