Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Newbie with a question!

Old 09-04-2002, 10:40 AM
Newbie with a question!

Hi everyone!

I've been visiting this site for the past few months, and have just recently became interested in the forums (yes, I'm slow). I have learned SO much just by challenge descriptions, that I am overwhelmed - in a good way! I am so excited about learning so much more from all of you, thanks for being so Photoshop educated! Playing in Photoshop is my biggest hobby, and since I work in web design, I'm lucky enough to use Photoshop every day. I can't believe I'm not tired of it yet. There's just so much more to learn.

Anyway, I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I've always been really interested in retouching pictures for magazines. You know, retouching pictures before they goes out to print. Any idea how one would get into such a career? I've e-mailed several magazines and not one has replied to me. What do you think a person would major in in college if they wanted to do this for a living?

Thanks in advance to any that can help! I've been wondering this for so long.

By the way, soon I'll post some of my work from the challenges on here...I just have to write out the description on how I did it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2002, 09:31 PM
Hi Backygirly,
Welcome to Retouch Pro. Glad you finally decided to give the forums a try.
Until you mentioned it I didn't have a clue how a person actually became a magazine photo retoucher. I did do a search but didn't come up with much. Here are some posibilities just of the top of my head. Have you checked out Photography magazines? Ususally in the back pages are ads for jobs, services etc. Another thing would be to contact the rag mags such as Star, Inquirer, the Globe etc. I knew there was one member who used to do photo manipulation for the Inquirer but he's no longer with us. I would imagine you would need a resume and posibily a portfolio of your work to show before they would hire you but I'm just speculating here. At any rate, let us know if you do find out and what they want as for qualifications.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 07:22 AM
Hi backgirly,

I wish I had some advice for you, but I have no experience in that area.

BUT, I did want to give you a warm welcome to RetouchPRO! I'm glad you've been able to learn so much. I think that's true for just about all of us here. And when you start participating more in the forums, you'll be surprised at how much you've picked up that you can share with others!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Just another "Welcome aboard". Sorry, I can't help with your question either. How 'bout asking something easy! Hard questions require thought!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 08:53 PM
Hi Backygirly

I used to print magazines and own a colour separation company. I can tell you not many Publishers would have the skill level in house, if any work is done it would be by there Graphic designers/layout people(Quark/Pagemaker). Most work would be done by the colour house or still at photography stage. Your best option would be with one the the large publisher or work for a colour separation house.

Hope this helps.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Col... WELCOME to you too!

For your first post you really contributed something useful and significant.

Really appreciate that you shared your advice and experiences. Hope we hear more from you as time goes along.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs