RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Cheap retouch service from india the ugly truth

View Poll Results: artist should get their due?
yes 2 66.67%
no 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 AM

Post Cheap retouch service from india the ugly truth

CHEAP RETOUCH SERVICE FROM INDIA THE UGLY TRUTH
Recently I got a call from a retouch service company. They looked like they are from USA. They wanted to interview me on skype. They tracked me from all the resources available online. When I told them I am from Chennai they told that they have visited Chennai several time. They are signing skype from UK account. Their Ip says they are from USA. But they are from Chennai. They asked my physical address but I already knew who are they.

Finally they told me they are looking for Indian pricing. I just replied them that India has gone global we are now working in $. I did not wanted to be rude but here in INDIA some people don’t work themselves. They don’t understand the pain of working men. They are like parasite they make their living on others work. they go everywhere bidding as low as half $. I have already some horrible experience with retouching company. Their most important question will be how many images you can do per minute! I told them I am not a photo copy machine.

These people are just people who have become greedy over time. May be the competition have made them like that. They have lost their humanity and cool for some money. Their office has no ventilation. They don’t run AC for saving electricity Bill. When they offer job they ask for bond, certificate or money. Their office has no signboard or address. When they give an ad even their website will never talk about a physical address. They don’t give offer letter. They keep very low man power but show as if they are a big company. The consequence is they make them work day and night like bonded labor.

Individual artist cant compete with them. These brokers bid for very less because they don’t work themselves. Most of these smart people are from MNC retouching companies. After few months work they start their own company and steal other clients. The money they get does not go to the artist but these individuals. Most people under them working at 6000 rupees per month. Not hour based rate. So obviously these parasites can bid less than half $. There is no real respect for the photographer or image making process. I told them that I am not working for such group and I will not encourage this kind of exploitation. Photography or retouching is art. It may be pure business for some but we should have respect for artist and those people who create art not for the brokers.

Many photographers understand this and they don’t give their work to such contractors. I request everyone to have some respect for the art of image making and the people who are part of this. if the artist can do this why this work to go to the brokers?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Re: Cheap retouch service from india the ugly trut

Well well. How about that. This is a first. An Indian complaining about the race to the bottom that Indians and other Asians are responsible for starting. How ironic. And, you expect sympathy from the westerners on this forum who have seen their potential hourly income reduced by the existence of these sweatshops all around the world? Please. Go away.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM

I know people are losing their job as of today because of these cheap services, it is a shame we spend years of or lives to create a skill set and have a career, and in a few short years it is reduced to a job or a hobby.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Well well. How about that. This is a first. An Indian complaining about the race to the bottom that Indians and other Asians are responsible for starting. How ironic. And, you expect sympathy from the westerners on this forum who have seen their potential hourly income reduced by the existence of these sweatshops all around the world? Please. Go away.
I found the post an interesting read, and it doesn't really come off as a cry for sympathy. Regardless of that though, it doesn't make any sense to blame every single Indian or Asian for what has happened in our trade, least of all this guy. How about wait for a reason he has control over before asking him to go away?

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM

So what's being asked here? Why is the person on here? What are we supposed to do? It's like those ads that dropped in here a few years ago advertising those same crappy services. To us! Retouchers! The people whose livelihood is being eroded away by same said services. It was like a taunt. Really, just go away. It's hard enough trying to make a living.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM

I agree most of the ads placed here and sent to my inbox are annoying and insulting. I don't like retouching being de-valued or having my livelihood chiseled away at any more than the next guy. I just didn't see his post as anything more than a rant about some of his greedy and unethical/immoral countrymen. I didn't see this particular guy as trying to get anything from westerners - but maybe I was fooled - I admit I could be wrong.
That would be funny I suppose if this were a taunt and I am too blind to see

--shift studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 01-13-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 PM

@Ben
its not about Indian or Asian. its bout the artist vs brokers. im not crying or asking for sympathy. They offered me job but i rejected. i just said the broker can bid much less because he dont work. he dont understand the pain. he takes 100 artists work from the market and keep the profit to himself. He has contact because he can offer the service much less. Its not about western or asian. Please reread my story. can the artist compete with the brokers?? refrain using word like western or asian i have deep respect for many indian and asian artist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 12:03 AM

@ Benny
only the western people are buying these brokers from India. go to ODesk, Elance, and other site you find 50 % of the job are going to these brokers. Shawk and RR Donely and many USA offices have branches all over India. you will be amaze to know how many employee are working and what amount of job they are doing. is not it your own western people. you need sympathy not me. i am a single person and will never be a broker in my life. i dont like to live on others money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retouch26 View Post
@ Benny
only the western people are buying these brokers from India. go to ODesk, Elance, and other site you find 50 % of the job are going to these brokers. Shawk and RR Donely and many USA offices have branches all over India. you will be amaze to know how many employee are working and what amount of job they are doing. is not it your own western people. you need sympathy not me. i am a single person and will never be a broker in my life. i dont like to live on others money.
Hey, I know. Sorry if I offended your nationality, but, you're preaching to the choir here, to use a western Christian phrase. I've seen this happen steadily over the last decade, and fully expect it to continue until only the highest end of retouching is left for an increasing amount of "Photoshop Pros" in America and Europe to fight over. Fortunately, by then, I will be retired.

I would suggest to anybody who wants to make a living in retouching to learn 3D and CGI somehow. That will take you into the next decade, at least.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Retouch 26... can you give some names of the companies you are describing? I know several retouching studios here in NYC that outsource to India to make masks. I always wondered how the heck it was possible to get the turnaround of a day for all those masks... I envisioned that they must have a huge team, but in my heart thought it might be what you described. If you can... give some names of these companies.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs