Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

The "what are your rates?" Question

Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Cool The "what are your rates?" Question

Hi everyone! How do you respond where people ask your this question? Like a lot of people, I charge per project. I have an hourly wage in mind, I determine the amount of hours it will take me for a particular job, and you know the rest.

The problem is that I get asked the question "what are your rates" before I understand the scope of the project. Should I just ask them what they need done. I'm afraid of scaring people away! Should I tell them how much I charge per hour? Sometimes I don't want to reveal my hourly rate incase I want to change it later on for a particularly demanding client, i.e. If I'm spending a lot of time answering emails or corresponding with them.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Re: The "what are your rates?" Question

This discussion on LinkedIn may help in assessing your overhead, your lifestyle costs, and ultimately a [realistic, relative] rate per hour. Or at least get you started.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2014, 11:49 AM

I always provide my rate. If it is a new client, I ask to see the images and have them marked one up so I know how much time may go into the image. I also ask for a budget... they always have one. I include my rate and the budget in my agreement doc. Here is an excerpt from one:

3. Budget: Retouching services to be charged at xx.xx per hour. Budget for this project is $2500.00. Designer will keep Client aware of progress throughout project as time spent on work to be performed.
4. Responsibilities: It is the responsibility of the Client to edit selections or increase budget, if project goes out of scope of work or budget.

You can always limit modifications to x amount of rounds.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Nanls; 05-20-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2014, 08:30 AM

Thanks Nan! That was really helpful!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs