RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

NYC Retouch Industry

Old 06-15-2014, 07:32 PM

Arrow NYC Retouch Industry

Hi everyone,

I figured to sign up on this website after I made another post (on a different web source) that didn't receive much feedback on and hoping to get great advice here. I'm pasting my post below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Researching the Retouch industry here in New York as not much information is provided online. Below I have some specific questions. Any feedback, or tips, are welcomed and appreciated. **Please don't reply with unnecessary responses. This is not related to Graphic design, Web, or off topic conversation** THANKS!

- Average salaries (full time) for Junior to Senior level Retouchers in Ad Agencies, Retouch houses, E-Commerce company, Magazine, Photographer's Studio, and so on.

- Average hourly rates (freelance) for Junior to Senior level Retouchers.

- Contracted hourly rates vary on the project uses? A model's portfolio image versus something commercial?

- Day rates? I've heard this term being used around. What is the difference between providing a day rate versus hourly rates? Do companies that contract independent retouchers prefer getting flat day rates over hourly rates?

- Companies hiring retouchers on a part time basis, does the retoucher provide their average hourly rate as an independent contractor or a reduced rate for working in-house?

- Great companies to work for in Brooklyn and NYC?

- Additional tips and info?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 AM

Re: NYC Retouch Industry

I'm afraid you aren't getting it here, either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Isn't this THE Retoucher forum though? There must be a ton of NYC retouchers on here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Ha... I'm with Benny.

The range of rates are so broad that it's hard to pin it down to an average rate for any of these. I'm guessing you're just starting out or you'd already know how to bs your way to the wage you want. It is quite the racket and you will need a lot of confidence and talent/skills to back up asking for a high rate. I would stay away from day rates or salaried positions if you can... or you will work 12-15 hour days for the price of 8 hours. But you gotta start somewhere... so look at some of these less desirable gigs as stepping stones. Leave a place when you hit a wall or are being taken advantage for too long. I've had more luck freelancing and charging hourly rates. But got my chops starting out working e-commerce for $25 per hour for retail companies and then worked my way into some of the bigger retouch houses to really get my skills polished. They work you really hard and don't give much love... but you'll learn a lot and if you can put some of their names on your resume, you will get calls for freelance gigs. Box and Gloss are 2 of the more notorious retouch houses I can think of, but there are a lot of smaller and medium sized retouching studios that are popping up here and there. I've had some good experiences with the smaller studios, mostly because they still are excited about what they are doing and treat you like a freelance contractor instead of like a slave. They are inconsistent since they can only employ when they have work in. But hopping about keeps it interesting and I've also met some great people that have further connections I otherwise wouldn't have known about. I've been looking at this site recently.. they have a few studios listed, but there are a lot more out there... http://www.productionparadise.com/ph...etouching.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM

What are the common pay scales for Box and Gloss, studios like that? And then ones not as high end?

What are common freelance hourly rates?

Thanks so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2014, 12:48 PM

If we tell you, then we have to kill you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 PM

lol...just seeing what the average is and not one's personal rates.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 PM

Here's a dirty little secret. None of us know, either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC7725 View Post
lol...just seeing what the average is and not one's personal rates.
You can try this trick that many others have used:

1. Create a dummy job, so you have all the specifics in front of you.

2. Select a few business in your area that offer your services.

3. Call them for quotes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Right.....but that's comparing one's freelance rates or employment salaries to a business's costs. Sort of different...know what I mean?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs