Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Where Will This Business Be 10 Years From Now

Old 09-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Jim - Sorry, I was referring to your statement:
Changes in just the past several years include scanners that can remove the cracks and flaws from old photo images, intelligent software that corrects faded colors, all you have to know is what paper the original image was printed on, etc. etc. etc. - seems like anything you learn today will be accomplishable by an eight year old putting a photo in a slot at a shopping center kiosk within a year or two.
I meant that although computers and scanners are capable of performing some fantastic feats, to my knowledge, there isn't a computer that can restore a seriously damaged photo without an experienced and talented individual doing the work, be it digitally or manually.
I was once concerned about the Digital Ice and Digital ROC technology, but after seeing what it is capable of, and comparing it to what I'm doing for customers, I'm no longer concerened.
I just can't see how technology will ever evolve to the point where anyone will be able to have the whole process automated.
I guess my cup's half full.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Another thing they can't automate Vickie is the "personal contact". That is what makes this forum a good one and it's what made photography work in the first place (who would take a photo with no one to show it to). The old urge to "tell me a story" kicks in and the clients just have to talk about their old prints. You can't tell those stories to the machine at WalMart and there are times I'm sure I'm being paid just to listen and the work is secondary.

Anyway the intent in starting the thread was to get everyone's thoughts about the eventual effect of the digital changes - maybe you've got it with the "half full cup" - and that's just where it will be in another decade - some good, some bad - and pretty much the same business in the end!

Jim C
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2002, 03:30 AM
I think we can all rest easy. Photographs are a very powerfull thing to the human psyche, and there will always be the need for a professional in this field. Are we really concerned that the computer will take over our job of bieng artists? The ability to create will never die and will always be in demand.

Times will, and always have changed. And thanks to vanity, retouchers will always be needed. All art is idealized. Look at cave paintings, anicient roman sculpture, the works of Leonardo. All of these examples survied a technological change. They even prospered from it.

Te human spirit will always have a need to create art. And there will always be a demand for good art.

It's late and I am beginning to babble.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs