RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Poll: Do you think accepting credit cards does / would improve your business?

View Poll Results: Poll: Do you think accepting credit cards does / would improve your business?
yes 33 75.00%
no 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2002, 01:53 AM

For those who accept credit cards, do you think it is worth the money you pay per month to have the capability?

For those who don't, have you ever had a client walk away because you didn't accept credit cards (that you know of). Do you think this would improve your business?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 01:59 AM
Janitor

A modified "yes it would help". It will help if you have the volume to justify it, but accepting cc isn't cheap. So, if you don't have the volume, it could actually harm your business. Don't expect accepting them to build the volume, either.

I accept them, and have gotten work because of this, but I simply use the RP donation system.

Paypal.com is another option, but it's not free if you want to accept creditcards.

And, of course, all of this is moot for most people, since this only works via the net, and not with a physical person pushing plastic at you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 02:18 AM

Am I correct in thinking that Paypal just charges a percentage but not a monthly charge?

PP is kind of a pain though, being that they force you to create an account with them, even if you just want to pay someone via CC.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 08:15 AM

Thumbs up

I have had nearly 20 solicitations for using a credit card service. I personally have never had a customer ask if I accept credit cards. The cost for me, is not worth it. My profit margins just get us over at this point.

However, when I have a greater volume of orders, I definitely plan on using such a system.

In my opinion the "you'll gain new business" line is a hustle. Good service and word-of-mouth seems to be the least expensive, yet most effective way to gain new business.

ERIC
www.abetterreality.net
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2002, 04:58 AM

Thumbs down

My situation is a bit different as we do retouching work for portrait and commercial studios, so all of our customers have an account. In an effort to increase my cash flow I offer my clients 50% off on their retouching package if they pay at the time of order completion by credit card.

It is important to note that I am charging the credit card at time of order completion, and not at the time of order pick up. I hate it when i have done a job, invoiced the job, and I can't collect my money because the client has not come to pick up the order. I have had completed orders sit around for two weeks.

So I sell this to my customers by creating a win / win situation. My customers get a nice discount, and i get paid faster. The discount is also a nice way to bring in new business.

I would say that credit cards are a must. Because we take credit cards, and my clients let me keep thier numbers on file, i get paid almost every day of the week.

Check out the details on my site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2002, 10:57 AM

For me at this point, no. I don't do enough volume business to justify it at this point.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2002, 10:08 PM

Aric, you're win-win service is an excellent idea. I have analyzed your costs on the website and it's something I too would like to offer when I scoop up more commerical and portrait photographers.

Eric
www.abetterreality.net
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2002, 08:16 AM

Eric,

My sugestion would be to get a portrait client first as they are more likely to give you repeat business faster than a commercial client. A commercial studio may only do one job a week, while a portrait studio may have 5 jobs a day.

Yes, you do get paid less for portrait work, but you also get much needed cash flow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2002, 05:52 PM

Paypal charges nothing if you only do occassional business with them. And as far as i know still a percentage for business customers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2002, 12:12 PM

My policy is 50% deposit up front, with progressive billings as the project moves forward. Work, whether print or web, is not released until final payment is received. Probably not applicable to photo retouching or restoring, but my projects often span several months so this keeps my cash flow going.

I voted No in the poll, but with reservations. If it's a question of not getting a project because of a client's financial limitations, I offer PayPal because it's very secure and easy for me to deal with. However, it's a last resort because the chunk deducted for credit cards adds up.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs