RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Weekends? What are those?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:19 AM

Re: Weekends? What are those?

The office rent thing is a valid and a very good point alltogether.

The issue is, if the client know you're working from home upfront, you cannot say "I'm ouf of the office", "My office hours are" and so on. Yes they expect you to be available pretty much around the clock because, well, they assume it's much more fun working at home and much less fuss to start the working day, you don't have to commute, don't have to open the office and start up everything either. You just wake up, have breakfast, sit down and work.

So I second that - rent a space. I know there's a trend across the hip community to blur the lines between work and personal life because, they, say, there is no such thing as work and life balance, you live your life either way, so the only way to sort this out is to treat your life as a whole. This might be very well true, I for once find it reasonable, but even if you have a dream job, you need at least some kind of routine which would help you organize throughout the week. You might, of course, be a mad artist which does not sleep, eat or do any other things other than creative process, but chances are you're not and need some kind of a basic system.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2015, 08:22 AM

One more thing; always add at least 30% time more than you expect the job is going to take, reason being you might have a different take on the subject and feel like the job is done and everything fits. Heck, you're probably right, but the client is the client. So, have that extra margin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Janitor

A long time ago I was working in a custom b/w lab. I was shocked to find a series of trays where we'd put our finished work. Each day the work was sorted from tray to tray, and only when it was rotated into its destination tray did it finally get removed and sent to the customer. I wondered out loud if we wouldn't be giving better customer service if we simply sent out the work as soon as it was finished. My manager explained that if we did that the customer assumed that was normal, and if we ever needed an additional day for quality redos it would then be judged as "late". This would actually penalize us for doing an exceptional job.

This workflow is now obviously obsolete, but I think the lesson still holds. Do as good as you can, as fast as you can. Share with the customer how good a job you did, but do not share how long it took. Finish early, but deliver only on time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 AM

We used to call this "Under promise and over deliver"
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2015, 03:45 PM

That's a good story. And completely true because the ignorance of the client goes both ways. People who don't know exactly how hard is the actual process (whatever the discipline) ten to assume if it's good it took a long time to complete, which is obviously totally not true. Now, they don't like to take years of training, toolbox investments and many other spendings into the account.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I'm going to have to rely on my assistants and start giving them some real work, rather than just "lighter" things and tests.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs