RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

working with a printing company

Old 05-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Patron

working with a printing company

I've been out of restoration for a few years, but want to get back into it.

Can a printing company reproduce color pretty well (assuming I am doing what they recommend on my end), or is this a waste of time? Does color management really work well enough to get within 5% of the original, or should I just buy a new printer and do the printing myself like I used to?

Printing always took a lot of time so I would rather have someone else do it. Money is not really an issue, I would readily pay $100 for a decent print that didn't look green or magenta.

I'm talking about one-off inkjet prints on matte paper, or the occasional 5-10 copies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Janitor

Re: working with a printing company

Printing has come a long way in a few years. And working with 3rd-parties will always be a pain. Just get a wide Epson if you can afford it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2015, 02:59 PM

I searched for months and sent out test prints to a few possible printers. ended up using one in Canada, and although their color was spot on, they over-sharpened everything, so had to phone them and discuss with their production guy to not do that. After two conversations they finally got it right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_7 View Post
Can a printing company reproduce color pretty well (assuming I am doing what they recommend on my end), or is this a waste of time? Does color management really work well enough to get within 5% of the original, or should I just buy a new printer and do the printing myself like I used to?
Very few outside labs have a clue about color management. It is hard to fine any that doesn't demand you send them (ugh) sRGB which is about the worst working space for output to a print, especially a modern ink jet.
If you feel you'll make a decent number of prints over a year, get yourself something like an Epson 3880 which is now greatly reduced due to it's replacement (R800). With rebates, under a $1000 and the inks alone almost make up for the cost of the printer. If you think you'll like making your own prints (it isn't work or a drudge to do so), you'll likely produce a far better print than a lab can produce.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Patron

I'll just get a new printer (and possibly a better scanner) and try to make the best of it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs