RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Quit day job to be photographer or retoucher

Old 05-23-2016, 12:04 PM

Quit day job to be photographer or retoucher

Hi i do photography about 3-4 years and also i doing retouch for my photos.
No i working as salesman for camera store in Prague and in my free time a do photography and learning new way of retouch or i trying some photomanipulation. Problem is that my day job is now boring for me. I am also tired doing something what lost purpose for me. I want to do something what can fulfill me. Now i am living in czech republic and problem is that i cant find job as a retoucher or photographer. So i want to move somewhere. I thinking about London but i dont know if its good idea. I have all gear and also money for surviving couple of months in London. Also I heard that asia is good for start. But i dont know. I want to be photography assistant or retoucher.
Salary is doesnt matter for me i just want to learning some new technique and get internship . What do you think i should do? Which country i should chose?

There you can find some of my edit https://www.flickr.com/photos/128214...h/26901787666/ .

Fashion shots are not photographed by me but by SERGEY MOSHKOV . Just my edit.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM

Re: Quit day job to be photographer or retoucher

I know of at least 5 independent retouchers, and as many agencies and photographers that work on global campaigns and are based in CZ. There is absolutely work in CZ, especially Prague and Brno. London is no paradise and there are many people at your level there. Asia is good for beginners, yes.
From what I can tell, internship is a great idea. Contact fashion photography representatives, or marketing agencies locally and ask for these sort of positions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2016, 06:13 PM

Too bad there has been no action in that Milan thread just below. I visited there in December, and liked the city. Had the same buzz as NYC, but, Italian style. I assume it's more affordable to live in than London or Paris. Of course, it's the fashion Capitol of Southern Europe. Can you learn Italian? Lots of stylish people walking around.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
From what I can tell, internship is a great idea.
You know, in the end, it never is. Don't work for free. But, fortunately, Europeans have laws preventing putting youth into slavery like that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
You know, in the end, it never is. Don't work for free. But, fortunately, Europeans have laws preventing putting youth into slavery like that.
A lot of them do pay. It just depends on the company and industry. Rates vary considerably by company and industry.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs