RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouching jobs: send psd to client?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:19 PM

Re: Retouching jobs: send psd to client?

Hi, yes, my question wasn't related to tiff vs. psd, I just used "psd" as in "high res file with layers". The client I speak of wouldn't know the difference, she just wants acces to the layers, so it could be on tiff or psd.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 03:35 AM
Patron

So advise her on the pros and cons of TIFF v PSD and let her make the choice.

Do not try and hold her image hostage within what you see as your special layered file. The image is not yours and you have only been commissioned to fix some flaws, minor or otherwise, therefore you have no rights to the image.

You do however have the rights to protect your working methods therefore as stated in my first post just merge those 'specials' into a single layer while leaving others intact.

If you are confident of the quality and value of your work then there should be less risk of losing your client - although of course nothing is risk free. In addition by complying with a clients request and supplying a layered file you will be displaying your trust in the client relationship.

If on the other hand you believe your client wants to use your work to learn and then dump you, you have at least some choices as it is going to happen regardless.
1. Offer to tutor one to one at a generous fee to YOU.
2. Carry on without acknowledging this possibility - it may just go away
3. Replace the client with others that you feel you can forge a long term relationship. You may want to do this by raising your prices and lengthening time of delivery rather than a straight refusal.
4. Insert here
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 04:47 AM

5$ an image is normal rate for bulk orders like weddings, online shops etc, usually because it involves very few adjustments. You don't deliver PSDs for that. Tesa said it wasn't higher-up work. Doesn't matter if it is a dollar or 100 dollars, it's still only few adjustments, and that usually means many images, hence no need to justify sending huge files.

If she can't tell you what it needs to be changed, she is trying to learn. You can be nice and send her a couple of files. But sending hundreds of PSDs a day for this type of photography? No.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 AM

Thank you all, this is very valuable information.

My feeling is that this photographers I've come in touch with have small business and are used to have all the process in control and are the type of person that no matter what you do, even imitating their editing style, offering samples and following guidelines they will still think "I would have edited it differently", hence they want the Layers to further adapt your work to their taste... they are scared that you'll ruin their photos... but they're just fussy, I mean, they don't even have a clear idea of what they want, she sent me a sample saying she wanted the colors to look more close to the original image and her sample was way more red than the original... so.. you know... haha

Also a big problem is I live in a country where internet conections are just not enough stable and powerfull to easily and quicky upload huge files, also expensive.

Thanks again,

Tesa
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2017, 04:19 PM

I think the question is regard layered files. Some agencies need layered files. Bur portrait photographers? probably not.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs