RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouching jobs: send psd to client?

Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 PM

Question Retouching jobs: send psd to client?

Hi! Well, that's my question. I'm doing portrait retouching and photographers (family photographers in this case, so not fashion or editorial) always ask for psd files, I refuse not so much because I'll reveal my techniques (but that's a very good reason too) but because the psd are extremely heavy files and would take ages to upload.
By the way I offer sample retouchs and recieve their guidelines for the jobs, and comments for future changes, etc...

What's the standart for photo editing jobs? Deliver or not deliver psd?

Thanks!!

Teresa
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2017, 02:57 AM

Re: Retouching jobs: send psd to client?

Delivering PSD is exception, and definitely not standard practice. I do deliver them on occasion, but I really do think it's mostly clients thinking they'll find out some "secret", rather than them actually needing PSD in order to change things later. After hundreds of PSDs I've sent I can only verify that 1 has been used to change the image. So, no it's not something to do for family photographers, unless they are willing to pay you more, because you will pretty much block your upload sending a ton of PSDs daily.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 PM

Thank you Very much, that's the answer I was looking for
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 04:17 AM
Patron

You should be delivering exactly what your clients request i.e. assuming you want to keep your clients! Uploading taking a long time is a pretty weak excuse as your time will be accounted for in your charges - in addition you will most likely be doing other things rather than watching the countdown to file upload!

It is neither an unusual or unreasonable request. Put yourself in your clients position.
What if they need an urgent change and you are not available?
What if they need you to make changes and you have lost the original psd or gone out of business?

Charge for your time accordingly and deliver what your client asks for is my advice. Should you feel you have some secret squirrel Photoshop sauce that you do not want the client to see just merge those layers together to hide the exact work sequence leaving other layers intact.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
You should be delivering exactly what your clients request i.e. assuming you want to keep your clients! Uploading taking a long time is a pretty weak excuse as your time will be accounted for in your charges - in addition you will most likely be doing other things rather than watching the countdown to file upload!

It is neither an unusual or unreasonable request. Put yourself in your clients position.
What if they need an urgent change and you are not available?
What if they need you to make changes and you have lost the original psd or gone out of business?

Charge for your time accordingly and deliver what your client asks for is my advice. Should you feel you have some secret squirrel Photoshop sauce that you do not want the client to see just merge those layers together to hide the exact work sequence leaving other layers intact.
Do you REALLY think some portrait photographer that is paying 5$ an image for bulk retouching needs PSD files. Don't make me laugh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Do you REALLY think some portrait photographer that is paying 5$ an image for bulk retouching needs PSD files. Don't make me laugh.
Do you really think anyone getting paid $5 an image is even worth consideration? Don't make me laugh.
BTW, PSD no, TIFF, yes (but we've been over this before).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Read and understand the question. R U not able to understand the question here, this is not about a clients needs (by your definition all are stupid) but serving a clients requirements.

Regardless of what you believe they need if they insists on a specific file format you supply it and charge for it accordingly. By all means advise them that you believe their needs are at variance with their request.

And I think Andrews comment about TIFF rather than PSD is probably wise advice
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 PM

The original post is vague. But if an unknowledgeable client requested PSD's of me I'd send them flattened PSD's/TIF's.

They may have just heard PSD's are better than JPG for cropping and tweaking without re-compression artifacts. Or sometimes the client wants an adjusted file while also being able to revert back to the original. In this case I'd provide a file with two layers, one the original and one a merge of all adjustments so they can have the retouching on or off.

Sure, if you're working for a retouching studio you might have to provide all your adjustment layers, but that's not the case here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Thank you all! Great answers, all this helps me a lot.

I'm new to the forum, also to editing for others, I'm just starting out.

The clients I speak about request PSD because they want the Layers to have control if they want to change something of the edit themselves, not just because they want the higher quality file (psd or tiff). And yes, this would be bulk editing for a low price, so... I will consider just having a different price for it.

Tesa
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 08:10 PM

TIFF has just as many layer options as PSD. In fact, there's hardly anything you can do to a PSD you can't with a TIFF (duotone comes to mind). PSD is a proprietary file format, TIFF is an openly documented file format. Both are owned and controlled by Adobe. But far more applications can read a TIFF than a PSD. You want your software product to read a PSD, you pay Adobe for that.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs