RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Anniversary....

Old 05-04-2017, 04:38 PM

Re: Anniversary....

Well, a long time ago, after talking with my clients. I decided never to show before and after shots. It is totally up to you what you do. But I have stuck by this rule, and will carry on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2017, 05:03 PM

OMG, Shoku. Jeff is obviously very very good and the website, apart from the fact that it shows some strange URL is a typical retouching website and looks great. And that image you've attached is... well... filtered.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2017, 05:09 PM

Just changing host, so odd URL come up at the moment!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
OMG, Shoku. Jeff is obviously very very good .
Yes, but it is difficult to judge any retouching accurately when the observer cannot distinguish what the photographer did and what the retoucher did.

Many photographers take credit for awesome images and yet 20% or more of the final appearance can be due entirely to retouching, not the photographer, unless the retoucher is the photographer.

The requirements for any image will differ based on original appearance combined with client instructions for alterations. It would be nice to see the before and after to completely appreciate the retoucher's contribution to the final image.

The example I posted is the raw image (hard lighting. no makeup), with the final, client requested edit. Obviously the final would not exist without the original, but the final is not due to the photographer. You may not appreciate that if you did not see the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2017, 12:08 PM

That doesn't matter. I can tell right away he is great, but I'll explain to everyone that might do reading on why that is.

If all the images on the retouchers website are great, that is because he is either making crap files look great, or he has earned respect of clients that give him/her great images that don't need a lot of work. For any case or combination of the two the resulting portfolio is as presented because he is good, no matter what the source file is.

And he has said he offers lesions, although I have a sneak suspicion those are on the pricey side.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
That doesn't matter. I can tell right away he is great,
While that may be true and enough for you, I still appreciate seeing what was done compared to the original, not to judge the person, but to appreciate what was done, and why.

We can approach an image differently to achieve similar results. I like seeing what others have done so I can re-evaluate how I do things - it's about learning and getting better.

Some images take 30 seconds to fix - those are not really useful for learning - unless the technique used is off-the-wall to fix an off-the-wall problem. It's the more complicated, detailed changes, if revealed, that can enlighten and motivate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 PM

I appreciate that you like to learn things by looking at portfolios, but that is not what portfolios are for, so I don't see the need to critique him over the fact.

Describing the approach, that definitely sounds like tutoring to me.

Again, he teaches, you can contact him directly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Describing the approach, that definitely sounds like tutoring to me.

It is also a sound way to impart your expertise - to demonstrate what you can really do. A complete portfolio should have examples of what you began with and what you ended up with IMO.

For a photographer the end result is everything, but where they began is also important to reveal how they managed the situation. The same is true for retouching.

Did you have 2% input toward the final result or 30%?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2017, 04:49 PM

If a person must see before/afters they can request them privately.

At the high end, the better a retoucher makes themselves look the worse they make the photographer look. "Look I can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse" looks good for the retoucher, less so for the photographer. People simply wont hire you if they think you'll exploit them for your benefit.

Shoku, that may or may not apply at the level of client you service, but I trust Jeff if he says it does for his.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Shoku, that may or may not apply at the level of client you service, but I trust Jeff if he says it does for his.
We service many "high end" clients from a variety of industries. Many are not used in our advertising for the very reasons you state. And I agree with the reasons.

But that does not remove the advantage of showing before and after examples. Clients hire retouchers based on what they can do. When they see less-than-perfect turned into gold that gives them more confidence you can handle anything.

Anyone can polish a car, but can you also remove the rust when needed?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs