RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Anniversary....

Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 PM

Anniversary....

Well, this is my 45th year in retouching! In 5 years, I hit retirement age. So wondering what is next. I could carry on retouching, or I could do something different... So I am asking for any input from you guys.

2 things spring to mind.

Training / Coaching.

I have trained many retouchers over the years, many have gone on to very big things, much to my delight. I have always felt, my degree in photography, my Airbrushing skills, and the ease I have always found finding clients a big asset. And have always passed those skill sets onto any student. I could carry on doing this, and would probably really enjoy it. I never teach photoshop, I teach people how to retouch creatively, and as close as possible to the old days when we done it all on film! In fact, I have just introduced an ex student of mine to a top agency, she is now on a start salary of $120K P.A. I am sure she will be earning more in a few months.

Retouching Services.

I could carry on taking on work, and in fact get even more work, and get a group of retouchers that I know well, or get to know well. I could take on work from the agencies, and pass on to the retouchers under my retouching umbrella.
I would also let the agencies know what I am doing, and sell this service. This idea would entail a lot of work though, and would not be as relaxing!

Any thoughts, advice or ideas from you guys?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM

Re: Anniversary....

Looks like Training / Coaching is the way to go for me. Just finished a one on one last week.
Mostly regarding self promotion, and how to get that elusive first job from an Ad agency.
She done great, took all on board, and has got first job from agency. Looking forward to the next class Anne! Now we can get down to the nitty gritty of retouching! NOT how to use Photoshop. but how to retouch!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2017, 08:29 AM

OK... This is going to happen I think. It will probably take a while to set up, But I think it will be a worthwhile venture for the future.
So next thing I am going to do, is take someone that has no Photographic or retouching experience at all, Train them with my methods of finding work, workflow, self promotion and retouching.... My aim is to get them trained, so that they can find good work and earn a good living. I want to see then pull at least $50K - $70K a year, full time or freelance.
I figure, if I can do that, I should be able to set something up full time in the future. Any TV companies out there wanna record it? LOL!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
take someone that has no Photographic or retouching experience at all
Now that's a challange.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 AM

I found the student, and training has started! Ex school teacher, English/media dept.
And know their way around a Mac. So that helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Well, a week in, and all is going very well. In fact I passed on some live work, and it was all good. So within 2 weeks, she will have published work! Not bad, still a long road ahead. No creative retouching as yet!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 AM

She should write a blog, would be a good way
to promote your possible future training career.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2017, 05:23 PM

hey ftp-jeff -- can you post at least one link to any of your retouch work? you seem to be a lot of talk yet you've never once posted a link to any of your vast experience in retouching -- there must be something you can share with us. would love to see it
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2017, 11:25 AM

www.ftpcreative.ca will show the usual stuff. Come to think about it, not seen your stuff either!

Last edited by ftp-Jeff; 05-04-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Nice stuff Jeff, but your site looks more like a photographer's site. I don't see any before and after examples, which is what I would expect to display your skill. Without seeing the original image it is hard to determine what you did.

This is the kind of image I would expect - see image below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample.jpg (551.7 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs