RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

who should I talk to?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:08 PM

who should I talk to?

Hey! first time poster here!

I've been retouching and shooting still life and product for a couple years. I've got the portfolio best as I can right now, work has been sparse, but I've got a day job editing eCommerce stuff. I'm trying to break into the agency gigs as a junior, and I'm looking for the most impactful connections. I get that it'll depend on the person's connection to the organization more than anything, but for example, should I be targeting the senior level retouchers, or the stylists, or the other juniors, or hell, HR? Or should I just spray and pray, and just connect with whoever will listen? I'm looking to make a move soon, and I want to move quickly on this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2017, 12:54 AM
Janitor

Re: who should I talk to?

You can call just about anybody at an agency and ask for an "informational interview". But make it count. It's a courtesy, so don't abuse it. Bring your A-material (and make sure it's relevant to them). I'd suggest the Art Director or lead photographer.

Ask a ton of questions, and don't be shy about promoting yourself (only don't make that the majority of the interview). Leave a resume with a link to your online portfolio (it doesn't need to be public, and any larger agency won't steal your work).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2017, 10:17 AM

Re: who should I talk to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
You can call just about anybody at an agency and ask for an "informational interview". But make it count. It's a courtesy, so don't abuse it. Bring your A-material (and make sure it's relevant to them). I'd suggest the Art Director or lead photographer.

Ask a ton of questions, and don't be shy about promoting yourself (only don't make that the majority of the interview). Leave a resume with a link to your online portfolio (it doesn't need to be public, and any larger agency won't steal your work).
This is really sound advice, and I can't thank you enough for it! I've had a list of questions in mind but I'm going to really flesh them out today. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs