Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Ideas Needed!

Old 10-22-2002, 03:39 PM
Just make sure they know you're offering the service for their photos, not the photos you're illustrating themselves.

My brother was nice enough to post a simple flyer I made on his company billboard (where they post the Amway ads, etc.). It was of a soldier, the same one on my index page. More than one person went up to my brother and said "I never knew your brother was in the military!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2002, 03:10 PM
I know a lot of people that bring me work are really into genealogy and that's the main reason they want their photos restored. You could try to market to those kinds of people by making a geanelogy themed gift basket. Here are some ideas:

- Pretty blank family tree sheets on a nice weighty paper. You could design and print these yourself if you wanted to. If you don't want to go that far, I'm sure somebody makes them.

- Offer to do a photo family tree. Not sure if you want to spent that much time, but it would be really unique and something genealogy people would probably really love and and want to bid on. Just scan, or better yet, take a digital photo of the family members' pictures they want to put in the tree and insert a small headshot into the tree. This is assuming that each individual picture wouldn't require a lot of retouching.

- Include some pretty antique picture frames. I like the idea of using a photo that's half restored so they can see what they are getting. You could frame these or maybe get some generational pictures (daughter, mom, grandmother) to frame to give people ideas.

- a nice blank journal for cataloging the stories of the older generation.

- nice family photo album

You could put a card in the basket explaining what genealogy is and why it's worthwhile to trace your background. And then explain how each of the gifts could be used for that theme and finish off with the offer of one photo restoration. I think something along those lines would make for a very cohesive and interesting package. Even someone that's not interested in genealogy might get bitten by the bug right on the spot.

Oh! And include a coupon for future restorations, and/or maybe a referal coupon. And if you are allowed, put a stack of coupons or business cards next to the basket. I'm sure some people will see your work and think of something they want restored. And if they dont' win they probably will still be interested in getting some work done.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2002, 04:54 AM
Thanks, everyone, for your help and ideas.

The auction was this past Sunday. There were over 300 gift baskets!!
I can't say how mine went over, as there was no way to gauge it, but I looked in the ticket holder, and there were plenty of bids (good!).
Here's what I learned from that experience:
You only need to supply the gift, and it should be contained in a themed basket full of other little gifts. No sense in putting out brochures or business cards - it's not appropriate for this type of event.
Because this event had so many entries, mine was pretty much buried with the others - a small event is a better choice if you want to get noticed.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs