RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Ethical Considerations

Old 08-19-2001, 07:48 PM

Chris; GOOD POINT---QUESTION,QUESTION,QUESTION. Has anyone out there been approached to do "ORWELLIAN" type work,ie, manipulate a photo in a manner that seemed somewhat suspect? The power of even the most basic photo manipulation program is pretty great and those of us who use them have a responsibility to use our skills, no matter at what level they are in a, well, responsible manner. Whats your input everyone--no matter if you have 20 years or 2 minutes experience in this field your input is needed. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2001, 08:02 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Tom,

I agree. Everyone should use their skills in a responsible manner. There might be times when you just have a bad feeling about something, and in instances like that, I think you just have to go with what your gut feeling is. Unfortunately, there are those who use these skills to produce illegal or immoral images. There is more to life than the almighty dollar in my opinion, and self respect is one of those things.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 05:20 AM

Re: "Designer Label "

Why not try the double christian name approach much beloved by hairdressers?

Perhaps "Adrian John Imaging" or "Henry Paul Concepts"
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 08:54 AM

Edgeley, Good idea! Something along those lines does have a "flare" and would tend to keep your business name in thought as it is just unusual enough to spark interest. Thanks for the input! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 10:59 AM

Tom....your username ...it's perfect!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 11:17 AM

Tom

On a more serious note, I am in complete agreement. I have refused requests that may have caused distress to an individual. Without going into detail, one request involved the manipulation of an individual's physical characteristics... I don't mean someones !!!!

Edge

p.s. I just LOVE these smilies!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 12:23 PM

Edgeley, I know what you mean there. As a "joke" I was contacted to do some "Orwellian" type work involving a man and an ex girl friend. NO WAY. My feelings are that Just because it can be done does not mean it SHOULD be done. Legal reprecussions aside, to establish Photo restore/retouch as an honorable profession and hobby that kinda stuff has got to be refused, if we dont police ourselves then all is lost. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 12:54 PM

amen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 12:58 PM

I think one of the more worrying trends in recent years is the willingness of the Press to indulge in manipulation in order to degrade and demean the subjects of their articles.

In the UK, some tabloids have the mentality that "anything goes" as long as you increase the sale of newspapers. Worse still, there are numerous sites on the Net that are actively engaged in the manipulation of "factual" images and passing them off as legitimate. Also, I'm afraid that generally people accept information from this quarter without question

It's a sad, sorry state of affairs...

Edge

Last edited by edgeley; 08-21-2001 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 02:59 PM

EXACTLY---- I have a saying taped to my desk that reads "FREEDOM WITHOUT RESPONSIBILITY IS SIMPLY ANARCHY". It is distressing to note the erosion of principal which has slowly been destroying the creditability of the press. I would hate to see the cynical attitude the public has towards that institution spill over to what we do!!! Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs