RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Ethical Considerations

Old 08-28-2001, 05:08 PM

Ed, excellent points. Also, placing a sticker on the back of the photo listing who did the work and what was done would, in my opinion anyway, alleviate much of anxiety one might feel about doing certain drastic manipulations, as the documentation provided leaves no doubt about the photo. Also, The purpose of this thread ISNOT to embarass or anger anyone or to pontificate. It is to stir up thought. Along with the freedom this work provides are responsibilities to exercise that freedom wisely, but if you dont Think about it, you will never come to any solutions to the potential problems discussed which you can apply as the need arises. Along with the fun comes some not so fun stuff and this is part of the latter. I am VERY grateful to everyone who has provided input as I have been able to reconcile certain ethical questions which had been bothering me, and I hope others have as well. Again, a heartfelt thanks. Tom

Last edited by thomasgeorge; 08-28-2001 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 05:30 PM
Janitor

Stickers are not archival and will cause eventual damage to the print.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 07:11 PM

Quite correct. I was not specific enough I fear. A label made from archival storage sleeve material, written on with a pigment based ink pen and secured with archival adhesive would serve to inform any future researchers, etc. that this photo had undergone specific manipulations, which in itsself could be of historical interest,while preventing damage to the print from acids, etc., contained in the normal type label material. Thanks for pointing that out. I was in a hurry and forgot that importiant point. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 09:28 PM

While I think that is a good idea, what I would suggest is that BOTH the original and altered pictures be supplied on disc with notations made to both (the beauty of PS little features hardly anyone knows about) AND to simply print some thing in the back of the altered photo and simply tell the customer; "This is simply for future reference for your family." along with "refer to CD notations."

Granted, some users might just transfer CD's, to get rid of a txt information file, but few know about the notation files that PS has, and I'm sure other programs have the same capability.

Rick

<tosses pennies on table>
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 09:37 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Rick,

<pickin' up the pennies> Good idea! That's why we need so many heads around here -- to bring up alternate ways of doing things.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 10:06 PM

Rick, Thank you. Excellent idea and well stated. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2001, 11:02 PM

Ed and Tom,

It's the presence of greatness that inspires greatness in others.

I just find it a sad shame that we (as a society on this side of the pond) have a tendency to just throw away our heritage when it no longer suits us.

In europe and other countries, our miscolored past is often not looked upon with great pride, but at least proves that our ancestors were also human.

Rick

<tosses two pennies on the table>
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 10:16 AM

Rick, Very well put. It is the warts and blemishes as well as the shining moments which define us as individuals and as a society. Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs