RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Restores Plus What Else

Old 08-19-2001, 07:20 PM

Restores Plus What Else

HEY EVERYBODY: Trying to make a go of it in business whether full or part time in the current economic environment is without a doubt a challenge. Besides offering Restoration/reprinting services what other lines of enterprise do you think might dovetail with the digital Business model? Obviously Film photography and graphic arts applications have already been established as meeting this criteria, but what NEW things do you think would work with your business/hobby to increase enjoyment and provide a more constant cash flow? Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2001, 10:17 PM
Janitor

Well...I'm not proud of this part of my life, but I'll admit here that I once experimented with....imprinted coffee cups

Gee, I feel better now.

Actually, I just sent off for the catalog. Coffee cups, mousepads, t-shirts, the whole thing. This particular company based their products around the property of die-sub prints being heat-transferable. You print them backwards, then use their heated presses to transfer them.

It sounded like a good idea at the time...I mean, everybody was doing it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2001, 09:07 AM

I used Photohop and then Extensis Photo Animator to try my hand at web animation.

I also thought of transfering photos onto T-shirts (See Doug, you're not alone)

How about putting people into holiday settings and producing personal holiday cards?

All I seem to come up with is small time stuff. We need some BIG ideas here.

DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2001, 09:20 AM

Dj, Thats the idea! Diversify with small stuff that doesnot consume large amounts of time but provides for a more steady cash flow, and can be put into action without expending much money. Specialty cards sounds like a good one, how would you"get the word out"? Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2001, 09:24 AM

Doug, Sounds like my experience with making buttons. The only mistake I made was trying to do 3 inch size when the 2.5 inch seem to be what folks around here wanted. NOTE TO SELF--EXPLORE ALL THE ASPECTS OF A NEW IDEA INCLUDING WHAT THE PUBLIC WANTS BEFORE LAUNCHING OUT ON A BRAVE NEW ADVENTURE. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2001, 09:26 AM

Brochures or add it to your services in your advertising and business cards or before the holidays put out flyers. Call old customers. How about Church flyers around religious holidays. How's that?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2001, 10:07 AM

GOOD THOUGHT!! KEEP 'EM COMING!!! tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2001, 10:33 AM

I have to be honest.....Ed supplied me with alot of business tips on that line so some of those were his ideas. He's a fountain of information on the small business and a real God send for me.

DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2001, 01:53 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Debbie,

Thanks for the kind words, but they were only ideas I presented, and now you're thinking. That's what it's all about.

Tom,

I'm a little late getting here today -- it's tomatoe canning day, and it jest ain't over yet! But I do have a few minutes now.

About three or four years ago, we had advertising put on the side of our pickup. I think this would fit perfectly into restoration businesses. We actually shingled a garage for some guy (he bought the roofing material), and he did the lettering for us. I'm not really familiar with the process, but I know he made it on a computer, and the advertising was printed on a computer printer, although I don't know if it was a laser or inkjet. It was printed on a transparent stock, which was then adhered to the side of the doors. The business name was "Olde World Crafters Remodeling", and he incorporated our logo (the earth), and our phone number with the lettering. It looks very good today. You can't tell the difference between it and an artist's hand painting unless you get very close. Then you can see that it is put on a piece of transparent material. I think the material to make these would be low cost, although I don't know what type of printer or inks you would need. It could be something worth looking into. An added plus to this is that you could make all sorts of advertisements for your own vehicles. That really gives you good advertising everywhere you go.

Ed

Last edited by Ed_L; 08-20-2001 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2001, 04:14 PM

Ed, Good idea! Perhaps someone out there has had some experience with that type of material. etc.? If so would you folks give us some info as to the "particulars"? Thanks in advance, Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs