RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Looking Down The Road

Old 08-27-2001, 07:28 PM

I've wondered about the future of this business as well. The only thing that scares me is the Digital Ice scanners. If you believe the press, they have the ability to do quite a lot of clean up work. And that may be good enough for the average person. (And that's scarey too!)

I don't see the software as a threat. I'm reminded of a phrase I heard (and will probably misquote) Millions of people have cameras, yet only a select group are "Photographers".

I don't know of anyone, except groups like us, who are willing to spend the time, have the patience, or the talent to do this type of work.

OK, I feel better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 10:14 PM

I totally agree with vikki.

There are always people that are getting into a particular hobby or profession in some way or form, but few are willing to take a particular "specialty."

I have yet to see any software or hardware that can instantly give talent to someone who isn't willing to spend the time and patience to do what we do.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 10:26 PM

I agree too. There will always be photos that entail alot of painstaking hours of work and the average person will not take the time to deal with that. Alot of people will do their own work but when that work gets too messy they turn to the pros.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 10:34 PM

Not to worry about the Digital Ice Hype. I saw some examples of this "wonder" and while it is impressive it aint magic!!! My minolta with ROC and GEM does almost as well. Not quite but close enough, (although when replacement time rolls around something from NIKON might just wander in and be roped and branded). Some folks will be perfectly happy with a pixelated mess printed on typing paper from a $75 printer.,and if so great. What we do is magnitudes of order above that and when the average person sees the difference---well I dont think there will be any immediate shortage of business. Tom

Last edited by thomasgeorge; 08-27-2001 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 10:43 PM
Janitor

Digital ICE, Digital ROC, and Digital GEM are all three trademarks of the same firm, Applied Science Fiction.

They are three different technologies that do very different things. Read about them here
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 11:17 PM

Doug, Good site. Only problem I have is that after working with ROC and GEM I discovered that the "results may vary". I AM NOT slamming the alogrithmns, as the results are impressive---just that they(ROC,ICE,GEM) are not the "one shot ready to go" numbers some folks might be tempted to think they are. Much if not all they accomplish can be done in a good image processing/graphic program, sometimes quicker than the scanner can. Example: running ROC on a 800dpi scan of a color slide takes my computer with 512 RAM and 500 Mz AMD roughly 10 minutes start to finish. Now, while I suspect firewire and perhaps even USB might speed up the data transfer time over SCSI, The fact that the algorithms are very complex means lots of computing time, and the result may not meet expectations. Again, I am not knocking the products as I use two of them and fairly often to boot.They are useful and amazing in what they do. I just wanted to state that from my experience the hype sometimes gets a little "exuberant" and might leave someone with a slight misimpression and subsiquent disappointment when trying out the new addition to the work bench. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2001, 07:25 AM

I'M BACCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

Hey all are you going nuts or what? Can't believe all the things I missed just being gone 1 week...slow down...can't take it all in and work toooo...

This is great and I really missed everyone...made me realize the laptop is a definite for the road next time.

Well I'm jumping right in and catching up.

With regard to the future of our business, I feel it will be around for quite awhile. There are several people including those in my own family as well as friends that are "messing" with photo restoration. The main thing I've heard from them after they bring their mess to me to fix, is that they have not got the time or patience or software or hardware or most importantly "MONEY" to deal with restoration on a large scale. Needless to say the proper equipment for this business is not cheap. As in any business I think there will always be the competition but that is to be expected. It amazes me how people can do things like needlepoint, embroidery etc. and don't have the patience for restoration.... but then I don't have the patience for the crafty things either.

I'm of the feeling that yes restoration will evolve into something easier or maybe even different in the future but there will still be only a few who will want to master it and give it the dedication that appears in all those members in this site.

And if by some remote chance it does disappear, then we'll just start up a site with the next new thing....LOL.

Don't cringe Doug, I can feel the glare from here...LOL.

Glad to be back with you all and have lots of work to catch up on both in this site as well as my job.

NOW, how is everyone getting those cute little images under their names on the posts....I just can't seem to figure that one out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2001, 08:53 AM

So you leave us for a week and now you want a little picture under your name.

Glad to see you back Chris.

To get one of those cute little pictures under your name go up to the top of the page and click on User cp
Next click on Edit Options
At the bottom of the page you will see Avatars. Click on the button that says Change Avatar
You will get 1 of several pages of little pictures to choose from. Just click on one.

You can make your own too and just reduce it in size to 50 by 50 pixels and save it as a gif then hit the browse button on the avatar page and find it in your files to upload.

Good luck and welcome back
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2001, 09:44 AM

Hey thanks DJ,

Yes I'm back and I must have a little picture too.

Trying this out to see if I did it right...if I did what a surprise it will be to my to get it right on the first try...LOL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2001, 09:46 AM

OMG...it actually worked first time out..surprise, surprise, surprise.

And for all those who are wondering..I live in boots and jeans

Just can't beat the comfort of a pair of blue jeans and boots.

Also, this is my business logo so thought I should use it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs