RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

What's the first thing you sell?

Old 08-21-2001, 09:46 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
What's the first thing you sell?

It should be made clear that I have no formal business education or formal marketing education, so anything I have to suggest is strictly an opinion. Now that that's out of the way:

If you are running a restoration business where you come in contact with the public, what is the first thing you try to sell? If your answer is "my work", I think you are looking at it the wrong way. The very first thing you need to sell is yourself. Once you sell yourself, the battle is practically over. You shouldn't have to sell your work. Your samples should do that for you. It doesn't matter if you do the best work around -- if people don't like you, or feel uncomfortable around you, you are unlikely to get the job. People skills are extremely important when you meet the public. Selling over the phone is not a good idea either. You need to get the face to face contact if possible. That is one advantage that people lose when trying to do business over the internet. Other opinions??

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 10:05 AM

You hit it on the head. I usually try to find a connection with the person and that seems to be the best way to make them feel comfortable with me, plus I am generally a nice person. (that helps) Like one time a customer brought his dog. I let him bring him in and my dog had a blast with him. That was actually my first repeat customer.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 10:24 AM

Couldnt agree more. With lots of people out there beginning to get interested in this line of work/play, you have to sell yourself to your customers . Displaying examples of your work is what sells the idea you know how to do it, but taking time with the customer to answer questions, give advice about caring for photos etc., is what gets the business and keeps 'em coming back. I think. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 01:12 PM

Tom,

One thing you didn't mention is how you handle the customer's photo or neg. You impressed *me* with that one. Just think what it would do for a customer.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2001, 02:53 PM

Yea, using White cotton gloves is a MUST in my book. Supplying the client with an archival type storage sleeve for their negative or photo is also a must for me. When folks see that you really care about their photos and negatives that will often assure a job and keep 'em coming back! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2001, 09:21 AM

Oh Ed,

You cute little piggy you.... LOL.

I guess the first thing that comes to mind when I meet a customer outside of my regular working setup is to stress the importance of getting the photo itself restored whether I do it or someone else.... after all a good photo restoration is the most important thing no matter who does it as long as it's done well.

Then I indicate to the customer that I assume they wouldn't be talking to me unless that was an important factor to them and I then show them some samples of my work that I've put in a sample binder. If they end up going somewhere else I only hope that they are satisfied with the job that was done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2001, 01:34 PM

Good attitude Chris. And I'm so glad you li - li -li -li -like my sophistocated piggy.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs