RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Just needing your help

Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Re: Just needing your help

1. Is there a title for the person that retouches pictures? .. like photo retoucher!!

Retoucher, Photo Retoucher, Digital Retoucher, etc are all valid titles.

2. If if it is, where can I go to study and earn a diploma or skills to become one?.

Generally, most retouchers have backgrounds in either photography or in illustration. Fashion and beauty retouchers tend to have photography backgrounds. Advertising retouchers tend to have backgrounds in illustration, since that work tends to be "hyper-real", and oftentimes requires creating elements with illustration. But regardless of which sector of retouching you work in, an understanding of light and how it behaves is essential.

3. What would be the best thing do if I decided to pursue this great career and get experience?

That depends on where you live. Big cities have more media outlets, advertising agencies, photographers, etc; and you can start out by interning at a retouching studio or ad agency or photographer's studio. This is harder to do in a small town. While true that the internet has made distance a smaller issue than it used to be, I still think there's no better way to learn than to be totally immersed in it, and if you're spending most of your day trying to dig up work online, then that's time that you're not retouching and expanding your skill set.

4. Can I contact someone or go somewhere that can guide me to get resources.

Look for internships or entry level positions. There's no substitute for learning "in the field", so to speak.

5. Is there any posibility that I can go somewhere and see how they work on this field?

Consider moving to a major media city such as New York and hit the ground running.
6. I have sooooome knowledge with computers but I do not know how much I need to know before starting.

7. Is is worth to do the work for a good living?

It is! I love doing this. I've made my living doing it for just about 11 years. There's nothing I'd rather do. That being said, this is a career that demands time and perseverence. Like many other careers, you have to pay your dues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Forgot to answer #6:

6. I have sooooome knowledge with computers but I do not know how much I need to know before starting.

In this day and age, you should be pretty proficient with computers for nearly every career. So yes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 AM

I would also throw in that while there are many free courses online, the knowledge you get from that may be spotty and incomplete. Software training books are expensive and quickly become outdated (though, I would recommend Katrine Eismann's book and there are a few other advanced books on channels and color spaces that have served me well over the years)

If I was someone just starting out, without access to an actual instructor who really knows their stuff, I would complete all the courses available from some online pay subscription sites. Lynda.com, kelbytraining.com, and creativeedge.com are three sites that I have used in the past. There are literally hundreds of hours of training for photoshop on these sites, as well as Lightroom, Adobe Raw, and any other software/OS you may need to learn. Some of the techniques they teach you may be beginner techniques and you will discover as you learn that there are more subtle ways that advanced level users use, but you have to start somewhere. I also work in graphic design in a city where there are a million graphic designers. It is a real race to stay up to date on current versions of software and I have found these online courses to be as useful for basic/intermediate training as any courses I have taken at universities. After you have solid skills you can look to more specialized free tutorials of how to achieve special effects, etc. to add to your knowledge base.

I have to throw that in because I think it is a good place to start. To me $20-$30/month for all-you-can-learn is a good deal if you have the time and inclination to teach yourself.

Good luck! Follow your passion and it will lead you to what you are naturally good at.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Funny, just realized the original post was almost 10 years ago... wondering if the original poster made any progress on that goal?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs