Hello everbody, I need your hand!
I am a new user and I need some help. I am very interested in digital photo retouching and I want to know everything about it.
If you could give me advide or information I will really apreciate it.
I have decided to find information like this, because I think it is a lot easier for me, and that I think I have found the right place, haven't I?.
Well, if you can help me this are a few of my questions: --- like I said you might think I don't have a sense of looking information anywhere but believe me I have my reasons...
1. Is there a title for the person that retouches pictures? .. like photo retoucher!!
2. If if it is, where can I go to study and earn a diploma or skills to become one?.
3. What would be the best thing do if I decided to pursue this great career and get experience?
4. Can I contact someone or go somewhere that can guide me to get resources.
5. Is there any posibility that I can go somewhere and see how they work on this field?
6. I have sooooome knowledge with computers but I do not know how much I need to know before starting.
7. Is is worth to do the work for a good living?
Well, these are a few of my questions, like I said I want to know everything about it. I do not have a friend relative that knows anything about so I rely on what I can get from this kind of questions.
thank you soooooo much, I will apreciate your time and advice.
Hi Don, Welcome to RetouchPro
This is a faily new industry so some things are not well established yet. Like usual, it is the simpler sounding questions that are harder to answer, but here are my attempts;
1) Named: Often time I hear people inquire for a "retoucher that is good at Photoshop", Digital Retoucher, Digital Artist, Photo Retoucher, Photoshop expert, etc.
2) Education: Is an ongoing process (this web site is a good example), I am guessing that the best well rounded education would be received at the college level art schools. Along with retouching and image manipulation you could learn graphic design, pre-press for publications like magazines, animation for computer games and the movie/film industry etc.
3) see #2, read through threads on this web site, volunteer / intern some where that does what you would like to do. Read and practice ...
4) Follow the threads on this web site ... I don't know of any specific place to go, you might call you school systems to be sure that you know about any programs that they sponsor. Also your library of course ...
5) who knows - anything is possible - the best chance of finding that opportunity is to do the stuff listed above.
6) Computer savy is not required beyond the basics - everyone has different levels of ability in that area, learning the software program that you are using is however a good thing ...
7) Can it make money? - Some do - some don't - kind of like "do cooks make good money?" - depends on where you work, you could work anywhere from a cook at McDonalds to a five star restuarant or own a catering company ... My sister does production level art work for a phone book company and is just starting out in the industry - someone else retouches for photographers - someone else works at a color lab, someone else does animations ... The bottom line: It depends on, in this order;
-if you are suited for this kind of work
-your communication skills and personality
-your expertise in areas that other people have trouble with
-who you get to know
Hope this helps some, Roger
Welcome to the site Don. Roger gave you an excellent answer, so I'll just welcome you, and suggest that you check out the challenges, to see how people are accomplishing their goals, and read the threads for a ton of information.
Thank you for your info
Hi, and thank you again for your information.
I think I really like this career so I have decided to go and study it.
and I will do what you said.
If anyone still want to give me more details about this please feel free!!
Welcome to RetouchPro.
You have asked many frequently asked questions regarding this subject. If you search around the forums, you will find answers to most, if not all your questions. There may even be an actual "FAQ".
Please take a look around, and repost any questions you can't find answers to.
Welcome to Retouch Pro. You have several questions but I will try to answer what I can.
1. No formal title but Photo Retoucher or Photo Restorer is good
2. I don't know of any place that teaches it for a diploma or anyone that offers an apprenticeship. It's pretty much a situation where you dig as much up on your own and do alot of trial and error. There's a wealth of tutorials on the web for Photoshop and photo restoration and Katrin Eismann has a fantastic book specifically for photo restoration. It's become a bible for most of us. It's called Photoshop Restoration and Retouching.
3. Build up a good portfolio of your work and list your self in the yellow pages and even get a web page to showcase your work. There's so many things you can do and this forum has alot of threads on the subject to give you ideas.
4. You will find alot of resources on the web. NAPP has seminars that are real good. National Association of Photoshop Professionals
5. I'm not sure where you can go to see someone in action. I just studied on my own and learned from others on this site and others using their tips and tutorials. Try going to that big 3 day seminar NAPP has. It's a huge event.
6. You need to have a basic knowledge of computers and a good knowledge of the tools in Photoshop or what ever editing program you use
7. That depends on your talent, ambition, good business sense and determination to make a go of it
I hope that helps you get started. You're pretty much on your own to learn this stuff but if you enjoy it, it should be a fun venture.
Many junior/community colleges offer Photoshop classes, and some offer certificates in digital arts. To learn digital retouching and restoration, first you need to learn to use an image-editing computer program such as Photoshop or PSP, etc.
Spend some time investigating all the available resources in your area for schooling:
Los Angeles area community colleges
Re: Just needing your help
HI im ANGELO,
i had the exact same quetion! so im glad you posted this, im so clueless as to what to do. i have spoken to soo many lectures and techers etc but no one can give me a straight answer. But i have come to the conclusion that i will just continue my second year of studying photography and then really practice on my retouching skills. Maybe move to melbourne and try and get some work experiance in a magazine company. Basically just get myself and work out there, then hopefully if someone likes my work i will get more work and so on. ahah pretty much my plan =D seeing as though there is real course dedicated to it.
good questions =]
Re: Hello everbody, I need your hand!
i like Donamai have the same question but let me go a little deeper I have purchase books dvd's etc and most of them only take you so far and leave you hanging only to buy one more book or tape most of the tutorials don't hit on the hard subjects it becomes mind blowing so many books and tape I am new here and so far I must everyone has been so helpful and i intend to continue to read the threads here as a senior on a fixed income this my best resource because if I tried to buy all the books i would be broke so keep up the good work guys and thanks to everyone that has answer my question
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Newbie needing advice.... CS2 or CS3 Suite||Lil Judd||Software||18||06-04-2007 05:07 AM|
|Just another photo needing help||crys||Image Help||2||04-13-2006 03:36 PM|
|Newbie here, Needing a bit of advise||Braddock||Photo Restoration||10||12-29-2005 12:24 PM|
|Another one needing help!||Chadwick||Image Help||9||03-11-2005 10:05 PM|
|Getting pictures on a floppy disk, needing your help!||Donamai||Photo-Based Art||2||12-24-2002 10:15 AM|