RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Business websites we admire

Old 04-26-2002, 05:30 PM

Doug,
I'm probably the queen of "examples" on restoration websites, so I have to comment on your most recent post. I could only find one restoration example. Did I somehow miss a link?
When you post a website that you admire, is it because of a specific feature, vs the website as a whole, or, both?

Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 06:40 PM
Janitor

I thought I stated the reason I admired it pretty specifically. I don't think I've ever visited a "perfect" site. I doubt one is possible. So, I listen to my initial reaction while I explore one. If it's "wow" or "cool" or even "hmmm..." I pass it along.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2002, 02:37 PM

This site works well for me.

http://www.originalink.com/photos/photo1.html

I like the way moving the mouse over the thumbnail causes it to flash to the restored image. The site is really well organized, alot of good information, and their samples are first rate. It is interesting they don't have any printing services mentioned. They want to just hand you a CD. There pricing is very aggressive. I wonder if it is working for them? Gerry

Last edited by Gerry Monaghan; 05-13-2002 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Janitor

So ask, and report back
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 11:16 AM

7Palm

Palm7 is a nice site. I think they are a bit obtuse in the use of the Browning quote. It is interesting, here they are only offering giclee prints as their primary product. I imagine they invested in the system. From my perspective, most of my perspective clients would find that prohibitive. I am focusing on a number of print product options.
Of all the sites you kind folks have put out here, so far, I am finding the http://www.maine.com/photos/Welcome.html site to be the one which I want to go visit the most. Good values, competative restoration prices. They are offering fiber based prints from negs. which aren't priced in the stratosphere. This is a key niche that I have been having some problems lining up a good supplier on. Thanks for the link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 11:31 AM

Vicki's Site

I really think Vicki's site works well. It is clean and loads quickly, and I don't think there are too many samples. If anythinkg, they have the effect of becomming a graphic border. It shows alot of restoration experience.

Vicki, I noticed you don't list printing services. What kind of print products and archiving services do you offer? Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 06:10 PM

Thanks Gerry!
I originally had quite a bit more information on my site, but just this past year took it off. I'm still debating whether or not to put pricing back on the site. Interestingly, I've had more inquiries since I took the prices off!

Most of the traffic I receive is from people like ourselves - interested in doing the restoration themselves (and there are hundreds!) The site has never been a source of business. I like to think of it as a portfolio (part of the reason for taking prices down).

Another reason for removing prices - I think the quality of work should be the most important issue, then the price (that's how I would choose such a service). Regardless of whatever else they may offer, if a site can't initially show me some good examples of their work, I don't see why I would pursue any further inquiries. Of course this is only my shopping technique, many people put price first.

All prints are printed with online services (silver halide chemical process - Fujifilm Crystal Archive paper), so they are basically real photographs. I just don't care for inkjets compared to these.

If requested a CD is included at no charge. I keep backup CD's of all work.

Reprints are around $12, as this is double the cost one would pay if they went to their local Walmart, Kmart, etc. (My pricing is based on the fact that I am doing the footwork, and not the customer.)

Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 07:50 PM

My assignment to contact website.

OK Doug,
I decided to take the direct approach and contact Maggie at "As You Like It Photo Restoration" with a "you don't know me but I want to do what you do" letter. I told her about my assignment from Doug to find out how things were going for them. I got a lovely reply letter in which she tells me about their business. With regards to their not offering any printing services, I gather that she/they have positioned themselves to service retailers doing a variety of applications which all use the photo on the CD. She seemed to be implying that they are having a good result working like this. She says her clients then use her work for t-shirts, mugs and prints (no indication of the quality of what is being produced.) I get the sense that they are busy and happy. Good for them! She would be delighted if any of you would stop in to say hello. Her link is http://www.originalink.com/photos/ )
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 07:52 PM
Janitor

Very cool, especially since rewarding these admired websites with our praise was half of the reason I started this thread.

Good work, and I'm pleased they were so nice about it (pleased, but not really surprised).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2002, 08:15 PM

Here is one of my favorite restoration sites. I think Jean(ette) is the reason I decided to try my hand at restoring photos to begin with. I love the layout of her website. The gallery idea is wonderful... and the search engines always seem to find it!
http://www.aftereffect.addr.com/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs