RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Your Bio

Old 01-06-2003, 01:18 PM

Jeanie,
You won't believe this, but the one I sent to the university didn't have the "self taught" part. As I was posting it here, I thought I would add it. I guess we should go with our first instincts.
Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2003, 04:53 PM

Hopefully this idea might work, don't forget to include the fact that you are soon going to be teaching a class in photo restoration. Also, I think it might help to read other people bio's to get a feel as to how to write your own. Ex- Katrin Eismann bio.

I would also leave out the self taught line.

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2003, 06:43 PM

I took out the "self taught".
I didn't mention the class I'll be teaching, as that is the storyline for the article, and so it seems it might be redundant.
Thanks for your tips!
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2003, 04:28 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Re: My Bio

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikki
Vikki currently handles restoration work for the Camera Lounge, and is a full time retoucher and restorer for Encore Photo Studios.
Vikki,
I also think it looks very good, but I agree with the "self taught" thing. The only other thing I see, and I don't know if it's in the actual bio this way, is that the "the" in "the Camera Lounge" is not in upper case. If it's actually part of the name of the company, it should be in upper case. If it's not part of the name, it should be dropped altogether. Nothing serious, but it should be corrected.

I'd be interested in knowing more about the non-compete agreement. Are they sending you to school, or otherwise investing in upgrading your abilities?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2003, 06:54 AM

Ed,
I wanted to capitalize "the" because it is used with the store name. However, and this is probably a unique instance, that's how it's used in this area. I don't know why, but, that's how the shop is known, even though it's not part of it's name.

Regarding the contract, I'm rather surprised by the reaction from members here. Perhaps there are different meanings for the term "non-compete"? I'd rather not make the details of the contract public, but I will say that the terms are not at all unreasonable, and I completely understand what I signed.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2003, 11:03 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Vikki,

At least you know we're reading your threads!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2003, 03:09 PM

Vikki, the whole "non-compete" thing bothers me because I have seen employers abuse it. I understand an employer not wanting an employee doing freelance work on the side because it creates a conflict of interest. I have no problem with that sort of agreement.

The problem I have is when I see employers coercing younger employees into signing agreements that state that they can't work in that industry for a certain period even after ending their employment. I have known several people who signed such documents under false pretense. I used to work in the sign industry (which can be pretty cut throat) doing design work and I saw this practice all the time. It's used as a way to keep wages down, especially with younger employees who do not always realize what they are signing. Some of this things are really absurd...such as, you can't work in said industry for 3 years after leaving the job. Or you can not take a similar position within a 100 mile radius!

I don't really have a problem with signing something that says you can not work freelance while employed with someone...but I don't think it should be legal to prevent someone from being able to make a living after leaving a job. And it's certainly questionable when an employer manipulates a young employee into signing something that amounts to labor slavery.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs