Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Old 01-14-2003, 12:07 PM
I get these emails all the time and sometimes, especially when I get them from countries who openly support terrorism, I just want to say that No, I am not interested, and if I had enough work to need to outsource, I certainly would be giving the job to one of the many, many people in this country who are looking for work - most of them because of the attacks on 9/11.

I always try and hold my anger, and assume that this person is just and individual and I can't blame him for the actions of his government, so I usually just don't answer the email at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 02:24 PM
NAFTA in action

I still say that this is the result of NAFTA and globalization. However, it's an individual choice what to do with it. Personally it sickens me. In addition, individuals overseas who do business this way avoid/evade all US law and financial control, nor do they pay taxes. They contribute nothing at all to the growth or welfare of the US economy or it's people. There is more to a society than just making money. Most of these countries hate the US anyway, why should we have anything to do with them? It really bothers me that I am forced to be a freelancer because US corporations prefer to use temps/contractors on work visas from another country but I am supposed to stand by my flag.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 02:51 AM
To rail against free enterprise is as useful as trying to nail jelly to a wall.

In England we have seen our entire industrial base outsourced.

This outsourcing started in earnest way back in the 1950's with the manufacture of cotton goods. From then until now we have seen the demise of many domestic industries including;

Coal mining
Steel production
Electronic goods
Ship building

the list just goes on.

Many people fought long and bitter battles, that divided communities and families, to safeguard their jobs but change still came. Parliament huffed and puffed but things still changed.

Multi-national companies were paid obscene amounts of money to build factories in depressed areas of the UK. They came they built, they traded and as low-wage economies opened up in eastern Europe off they went siting "responsibility to sharehoulders" as their reason for closing the UK operation.

The entrance of low-wage economies into a high-wage market place is nothing new. We are used to those low-wage economies providing consummer goods that we, in high-wage markets. can buy, use and enjoy.

What is different now is that, thanks to the miracle of modern communications, low-wage economies are now competing in high-wage markets for the provision of services.

These people have seen the internet as providing them with an opportunity to succeed in life and they are grasping it with both hands. Their market penetration will continue to grow until wages in their economy start to approach the levels we enjoy.

Whatever you decide to do to compete keep in mind that these incomers are people. People with families, hopes, dreams, aspirations and above all determination.

It would be a shame if, in opposing, we were to become so bitter that we lost our humanity, our health, our dignity.

This is but the start of a change which will rock more than our corner of the employment market. The speed at which the incursion will grow will leave us breathless.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 06:47 AM
Whoa . . . I guess the logical thing to do is to start charging $1.00 per hour and maybe 200 free digital prints. Perhaps having a worldwide "free" delivery system would be a great idea too (you may have to purchase "two" ox carts).

Also, I'm wondering how their recruiting program is going? . . . .

Anyway, look at it from this perspective, people in Bangladesh obviously have a great sense of humor
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Response to Indigo

Yours is simply another brand of "bleeding heart liberalism." Look around the US and view the strewn remnants of the unemployed and bleed that nonsense somewhere else. Should the US sacrifice their own citizenry for the sake of uplifting the poor of other lands? Is it not enough that people walk over our borders, reap the fruits of this great land, and then go on toward prosperous lives? Why is it that we have to destroy what we have here to help others? For the first time in US history, the most skilled and educated are out of work. Investment bankers, stock brokers, many other financial industry professionals not to mention the waves of technology industry professionals, are all out of work, and for what? So the families of these impoverished lands can propser? The trouble with that picture is that we're not really helping anyone, we're taking from "Peter" to help "Paul." It's the same as when Affirmative Action programs were enacted. We gave jobs to neglected minorities at the expense of the people who were already in those jobs. The same with women in the workforce. As the level of working women increased, so also did the number of men working decrease. This is not just my opinion,read the numbers in any of the resources available. If all of this were fair I'd have no comment, but I see it as a maniuplation by the "Big Boys." Case closed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 04:32 PM
I am so sorry to have caused so much offence.

It appears that I have expressed myself so poorly that I have only succeeded in causing injury and upset.

Please accept my apologies.

My only point is that the poor and desperate will always work for low wages. They are not unskilled, just poor.

The internet now allows, encourages them, to work for low wages in all and every market in the world. They
no longer have to be poor.

These people who have come to your attention are but the vanguard. They are going to tell all their relatives
how easy it is to make a good living subbing over the net. They are all going to tell all their relatives and off we go.

The true irony is that the muti-nationals and the "smart-guys" in the city made these people "web-aware" by
hiring them at garbage rates to cut company overheads. What these people have found is that the door swings
both ways. Now it is these same multi-nationals and "smart-guys" who are screaming for someone to bolt the
very same door that they created.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 09:07 PM

Hey, their offer sounds really good! I know the people in south Asia work very hard at very low wages and not greedy like us.

I think we can watch movies or sleep the whole day by letting those people sweating on our jobs at negligible cost!

Let me know how can I reach them?

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 10:11 AM
As far as I know there is only one company in the world that is capable of offering such low cost solutions for the image restoration industry which is based in Bangladesh; their quality is also better than most of the US companies.

Most of you are afraid of loosing your jobs/business but all you know that the rude law of the world, "Survival of the fittest". So I think all of the photo restoration (or similar) jobs of USA would be outsourced soon as the 99% garments products are outsourced from Asian countries. The catch will be for ourselves who would be smart enough to pick the easiest way of outsourcing first!

Have a nice time, buddies.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2003, 07:51 PM
For the benefit of younger people here - the same cries of foul were being played loud and clear after World War II when I first went into business.

During the fifties and sixties - the complaints were that we were giving the electronic industry to Japan - you could buy a college grad over there for $40 bucks a month. We would never survive it, our foreign policy was going to destroy America etc. etc.

While gloom and doom may be easier to spread than historic fact, it's probably worth noting that only a few today would not agree that Japan is considered a reasonably good trading partner!

Could it be that in looking for reasons that business might be bad we often start in all the wrong places?

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Lightbulb Child Labor?

My question is who is working on the images. I hope not children. Also will service rendered be quality?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs