RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Outsourcing?

Old 03-11-2003, 12:04 PM

Smile Look at the big picture

It's great to have a forum like this for retouchers. Be sure to support the site by purchasing a RetouchPro coffee mug or sweatshirt. I have mine!

This is a contraversial topic and I think "cool heads will prevail." Jim Conway's historical point of view is wear I tend to wade. Moreover, I believe that we can ALL benefit with an open mind.

This is not to say I don't feel "threatened" by outsourcing. However, I am getting in the habit of using such fear to my advantage: Be a better retoucher! From working more efficiently, to training to upgrading equipment and offering better print quality, there are many, many ways self-employed American retouchers can stay competitive.

This world is getting smaller. In a time of great intolerance for political ideals and cultures, we need to examine why we react to certain things. Sometimes we misinterpret opportunities for solid business alliances as "threats." As Jim Conway wrote "Could it be that in looking for reasons that business might be bad we often start in all the wrong places?"

Eric C. Basir (Bond)
www.abetterreality.net
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2003, 12:42 PM

Aside from the historical point of view another way to avoid feeling "threatened" by events or others is to find out everything you can. Order a job from anyone you feel may hold a key to your future and the same applies to any new technology that you feel can put you out of business - explore it! The threat is either real or (more likely than not) just hype. Either way, you are back in control.

When I was a kid I read a book that had the a theme that has help me countless times in my life - "Go straight to the heart of danger and there you will find safety"

Like a pilot learning to handle any emergency - Just assume you've already crashed and work backwards from there, that kills the fear factor!

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2003, 11:57 PM

Can anyone let me have his URL I will check it out.

col
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2003, 07:49 PM

Hello Folks,

There are other things to consider, for instance, how long do they work? Do they get a lunch break? How much of the two dollors do the workers actually get?

There were a lot of inhumane conditions revealed in the clothing sweatshops that were shown on "60 Minutes" a few years ago. By providing work for them will make somebody rich, but not the overworked sweatshop employee.

Sometimes they are forced to sleep on the primises that they work, and as mentioned above, how many are childern?

Why contribute?

DW
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2003, 09:18 AM

Thumbs down Research

I agree. However, it would be wise to research such companies first. We don't want to be guilty of generalization. Just because people in another country are doing the work at an exchange rate which is lower than the dollar, doesn't necessarily mean they are working in retched conditions. Call human-rights organizations for possible sources.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2003, 01:38 PM

Thumbs up

As far as I know, only the college gradutates in developing countries can reach to a computer for learning and children of rich people who don't need any job at least. I think people of those countries are thousand times civilized than us and don't pay taxes to kill children with F-16s!

Cheers!!!

Jon
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2003, 04:47 AM

I would like to just add a short comment to one person's ideas. You state that these people from Bangladesh are taking over business that should be done by Americans. I don't think that you realise the extent of the American takeovers in other countries. Please go easy on the attitude. We at present have quite a few hostile takeovers by American companies. I think that the person who made this comment needs to look at both sides of the coin.

Apart from that I agree with the work not being done by young children and that the workers should receive decent wages.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2003, 09:46 AM

There's a word that encompasses the idea of business seeking out the cheapest possible labor.

It's 'capitalism'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2003, 11:07 AM

Don't get me wrong regarding slave and child labor... I stopped buying Nike products for a long time when the news came out about the shoes being made in sweatshops in the far east. And I am strongly against U.S. companies going overseas to avoid paying wages at a livable U.S. level. And I really hate companies that avoid paying U.S. taxes by registering their ownership in foreign countries.

I'm just saying that many capitalist enterprises will generally continue to do what's best for their profits, and not necessarily their employees, society, etc. Look at the profitable auto plants in the U.S. that were closed and moved to Mexico, just because they could be a bit more profitable down there. They weren't losing any money at all, but they couldn't resist the temptation of cheaper labor.

The only way to stop it are laws and regulations. But businesses hate regulations and many start with the "regulation is un-American" arguments anytime more regulations are mentioned.

Businesses are only as moral as their owners. And as we've seen over the last two years with the turmoil in the stock market, it seems that morality in business is in short supply these days.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs