RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Outsourcing?

Old 01-14-2003, 02:08 AM

Outsourcing?

has anybody else received this email.? I was astounded at the per hour rate.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Greetings from Bangladesh.

We are a stock photo agency based in Bangladesh with Image Restoration service. We are capable of serving high quality digital image restoration in a volume level at very competitive price. We are basically serving for USA market as a subcontractor at the moment and looking for reliable partners to extend our service. We thought you would be interested of partnering with us as the potentiality of the business is very high for both of us.

We charge only US $ 2.00 per hour job and our turnaround time for delivering finished job is 24 hours. Since you are already in the business you can easily calculate the profit from this outsourcing for your business. You know, profit comes from the volume and offering low cost solution to your clients. We hope you would consider our proposal cordially.

As we are committed to our clients to maintain confidentiality of the images sent to us, we are not able to show you the samples of the jobs done by us. So we will be doing 5 digital files for free for you to demonstrate our quality. No obligation is required of continuing the business with us if you are not satisfied with the result.

Wish you a Prosperous and Happy New Year.

Best regards,

Jahangir Kabir
Sr. Executive,
Sales & Marketing"

Any comments?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 02:28 AM

Well, first off, I'd probably have deleted the email without opening it, so I'd never have seen it. I agree with you, the rate sounds unbelievable. However, one probably has to look at it in terms of the exchange rate. I could only find a 2000 exchange rate for the Bangladesh rupee of US$1 costing 50 rupees, so 100 rupees per hour is probably quite a tidy sum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 02:36 AM

Update: Bangladesh currency is now Taka, and $1 costs 58 taka
(source)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 03:39 AM

Yes, I recieved that email and I get at least 1 like it every day - from overseas and the US.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 03:43 AM

The only reason I opened it was because it was from my web site and it was addressed to my help address which is available for customers to ask for quotes ect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 11:15 AM

See, it's so, isn't it?

This is what I was referring to in the other thread about work. Ross Perot used to speak about all of this when he campaigned years ago. Now I'm not political at all but it has come to pass that the US corporate world HAS shipped, as usual, alot of work overseas. Now technology has enabled much more of that. Two dollars an hour for them is a mountain of money and for us...well, how we beat rates like that??? And five free samples to prove themselves? These people, although impoverished, are not stupid. Now what company can afford not to consider this proposal? I bet the temp agencies are doing this too. General Electric has begun to "migrate" their administrative workload to Kelly Services who is adroit at outsourcing work to telecommuters. Who are they sending it to? Legal firms in NYC have been outsourcing their word processing to offshore countries for years and years. Perhaps we're a little late in discovering this phenomenon? Go look at "E-Lance" and Monster, and all of the "free agent" sites, you'll gasp!!!!! I think what we have to do it to articulate what this "new information economy" is all about and how to exploit it because this is not going to go away.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 11:35 AM

I got one

Yes I did receive on of those e-mails yesterday...

I love the website stating that they give wholesale prices for 500-1000 restoration jobs! LOL I wonder of we can "group" our jobs together to get that super-low rate of $0.50 a job

As tempting (or misleading) as it sounds I have deleted it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 11:45 AM

There's another way

They say five free samples, right? How long will it be before people send them those five jobs, and then leave them, and then create a new identity, send five more samples for free, and so on and so forth? That is one way to get rid of all these offshore scroundrels once and for all. Just never use them for "paid" work. They'll get the idea pretty quick and go back into their huts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 12:04 PM

Unhappy

Great Idea...

Let's see if they can do some of RP's Challenges for free! Now that would be funny.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 12:11 PM

Or........

We could publicize the "Un-American" companies and individuals who do use them and boycott them globally? I feel that any individual or oganization which uses foreign labor to usurp the US economy should be banned from society.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs